Protien Skimmers

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Ok, it looks like I need to go back to getting a protien skimmer running again on my 29.  So... I have been nosing around and it seems like a CPR BakPak or a AquaC Remora would be the best way to go.  My question is, I saw a few people recommending the BakPaks because you can put your heater in them,and stick some carbon in them every now and then.  While nosing around on ebay I found one of the 'larger' bakpaks at what seemed to be a pretty good price.  Is it worth getting the large one as it is rated at a MUCH higher level than my tank?  Am I possibly doing any harm by skimming so much?

Any ideas or suggestions on the whole matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have always believed in more skimming since it will actually only skim what's there to skim.

The rest of the time it's just super saturating your water with oxygen, patiently waiting to skim some protein as it's produced.

Guest mikesroth
:( After really reading the EBAY item, it turns out to not be a real CPR skimmer, but some either knock-off or someone's attempt at DIY'ing one.  Not sure if it is such a good deal after all.

IMO the Remora is a better skimmer - I've run them both on the same tank.  FWIW, you can put a heater in the output chamber of the Remora as well (I did).