Fish for a 29....

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Well after getting bored playing with my Narssus (sp?) snails, (how do they know when I put food in?), I decided that I need to start thinking about what and how many fish I should look at putting in my 29 gallon tank.

I do know that I would like a couple of clownfish in the tank, and I believe I am limited to either Percula or Ocellaris, which is fine as I like both of them.

I also like Dwarf Angles, the Fairy Wrasses, Dottybacks, Gobys.... of course I won't try to put them all in the tank, but which ones would you go with, and why?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!!!

Guest clownfish4
Pair of ocellaris, royal gramma, and a goby/blenny of some sort.

Mike,

I am going to tag along as I am setting up a 29 as well.  Mine is going to be crustaceans heavy though.  I already have a cleaner, pistol and a fire shrimp, I plan on adding a peppermint, a mated pair of coral banded and a mated pair of gold banded so I am not sure how many fish other thand a goby for my pistol I will end up having.

Guest mikesroth

Wow is that ever a crustaceans tank, which reminds me.. I need a shrimp.... :D  Right now I just have some Cerith and Narsassus (sp?) snails.  Whom I like to watch by putting in some food and watching all came out of the sand swarming the food. :)

Clownfish... Thanks for the suggestions, forgot about the Gammas.

Anymore suggestions, anyone? Anyone?

Why do you feel you are limited to those 2 types of clownfish?  Any pair will do- I don't think any of them have much different space requirements- but temperment is another story.  Seems Dr. Mac has a bunch in stock now of a lot of different types.

Not sure on the wrasses- I have 2 of the smaller species, and both are very active swimmers.

Dottybacks would be fine, but these should go in last.

A dwarf angel would probably be fine, especially one of the real small ones.  Though again, these guys seem to be very active swimmers from my experience.

Hawkfish would be another consideration- but a problem with shrimp.

Came across this shrimp goby this morning- they also have pistol shrimp fwiw

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD_Stonogobiops_yashia.htm

Speaking of shrimp, I have had a mated pair of the golden CBS that Dr. Mac sells for almost 2 years now I believe.  They have stayed small, and are quite attractive.  I would highly recommend them- in the 10 gallon tank they are out all the time.  Eddi- do you think they will get along with a pair of regular CBS?  Never heard of this mix before.

Guest mikesroth

I had just figured from what I had seen that the 'Nemo'ish clownfish would fit better in a 29.  If that isnt the case, then I need to look some more.  (Sorry boss gotta do my fish research, we can send my program to QC later.... :D )

Seeing how I am going to have mostly soft-ish corals in the tank, I am thinking that maybe the angels are the best idea after all.  Sounds like they can be a bit nippy on the corals.  As far as the wrasses, I like the colors on the fairy wrasses, but I will have to do some more reading to see how they'd fit in the tank I guess.

That is one very cool Goby, not sure how the wifage will feel about $60 though, might need someone to help me remove her foot from my backside. :laugh: I was leaning towards a Clown Goby, but maybe a Goby/shrimp combo would be good.

Thanks again for the advice.  Anyone else?  Bring 'em on, the more suggestions the more confused I can get. :D

Michael,

I have the GB/CB combo in both of my other tanks and while they are much bigger than the 29g, they often wander in each other's territory without any issues at all.  The CB in my 125 are much bigger than the GB (easily over twice their size), but again that has never been a problem.  Will it be in a smaller tank?  I certainly hope not!

Any clownfish would do

On the wrasse, i agree with mike, Ive had several wrasses over the years and they destroy any type of DSB if your going to have one. Either by aggressive swimming, burrowing making a home or, mine use to pull snails off the rocks and throw them on the sand, they try and bury them. Not sure if this was normal for a lunare wrasse but it was H-E-double-hockey-sticks on the water clarity.    tng

Mike,

I had a 30g tank and carried the following

B/W Heniochus EXCELLENT Tank Fish

Royal Gramma, behaved nicely

Percula clowns is a must for you

Firefish, very beautiful and interesting fish

Green Chromis, pickup several for a mini school.

to name a few.

The difference between a 29 and a 30 are substantial for a fish that likes lateral swimming space.... thus I would not recommend a heniocus in that size tank.  On the clownfish- I have epipheums (red saddle back) in the 10 gallon tank, and clarkiis in a tank that isn't much bigger than a 29.  I swear, none of them swim around much and seem quite content not to do so.

eddi- that is really interesting about the coral banded shrimp pairs.  thanks for sharing that.

Guest mikesroth

I figured the Heniocus would be a bit too big of a fish for my tank.  Maybe for the 185 when we get it setup. :)

I talked to HVF21221 and he has some Clarkiis that he can sell me, so I think I am going with 2 of them.  I think I may also add a Clown Goby also.  Hmmm... are there any other fish with 'Clown' in their name?  I could be my 'clown' tank. :laugh:  I kill myself....

More suggestions? Keep 'em coming!!!!  I prefer 'smart' fish, you know the ones that seem to interact with you.  Ok I am sure they are just begging for food, but it is nice to be appreciated. :)

Guest Moon Reefer

Hi Mike!

The LM and bi-color blennies I've seen at the stores seem quite interactive and comical.  I'm thinking of getting a LMB myself, since I seem to be under the attack of the bryopsis :angry: .  Not until after the move though!