Help with Protein Skimmer in new setup

rsarvis

Hi there, I have a brand new set-up (plumbed by the aquarium store folks). Following the advice in the book I was reading, I filled it with water and turned on the pumps to make sure there weren't any leaks. Everything seems to be running fine with no leaks, but I noticed that the protein skimmer just isn't producing many bubbles at all. Is this normal when there's nothing but plain water in the tank, or is this a problem needing fixing? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ah, okay, I was guessing that might be the reason, but I didn't know one way or the other. Yea, I used freshwater (just doing what the book said!). Thanks for your quick answer!

Are you testing for leaks with fresh water? If so, it won't produce the fine bubbles. Throw in a bunch of cheapo table salt if you want to see some bubbles.

Why won't it work with fresh water dumb question? ... SOmething with saltwater being more dense or what

??

Yes, the saltwater have high density/gravity which would hold down the bubbles. Freshwater won't actually produce any skimmate unless it is really dirty such as murky water.

The book only state to test for leak, it doesn't say it would produce any skimmate.

pour in a cup of vinigar if you want to see bubbles. It's also rumored to be a way to break the skimmer in.

jp