Copper in Reef Tanks

cowrie

We are setting up a refugium in the basement to run both of our upstair's tank through. We purchased the pre-drilled 40 gallon tank from Wally's. As Bob is doing th eplumbing he notes that the silicone on the inside of the tank is a lovely blue color.  The tank was painted blue on three sides but we scraped that off.  Could this blue color be from a copper treatment?

If it is from copper what can be done to rid the residue of copper from the tank?

If the sillicone is covered with a new layer of silicone, assuming that it is copper, does copper get in to the glass itself which is not blue?

Tamie and Bob

Guest tgallo
tuff question tamie, i wouldent take a chance with it, if it was a fish only tank , hi chance it had copper in it at on time.

So what if it had copper in it from the past?  After bleaching, vinegar scrub and lots of rinsing would that not take care of it?  I have always heard the rule "never" but can someone tell me why?  What is the science behind this?

Common sense tells me it's not worth the chance.  A new 40 breeder is like $60-70, is it worth risking your entire system?

As for the science, ask Randy Holmes-Farley on RC.

Personally, I would use it. Especially if you've done what you've mentioned.

I bet the blue staining is not from copper treatment but from a formalin or even malachite green based treatment.

Both can and will stain silicone blue and generally leaves the water over a few days but the silicone stained for years.

Chip