Zoos and Food?

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Lately Jen's been having some of her Zoo's disappearing, and I noticed on RC that people were talking about feeding their Zoos.  Has she been starving hers?  Someone had told us that she didn't need to worry about feeding them anythnig.  If they do need food, what should we get them?

]]]thx

Guest mikesroth
I haven't seen any in there.  I will take another look around the tank tonight.  Would they cause a 'Random' disappearance, or more like a line of them disappearing (like something munching away)?

Disappearing zoanthids sounds like something might be eating them- doesn't need to be a nudibranch.  

Feeding them- if you feed the tank, they should get some food.  If you want them to grow like gangbusters, use a dropper or baster to target feed them.  The "coral chow" works well, as will just about anything.  they have pretty big mouths, so anything meaty will work.  I'm sure even flake food can be used.

Guest mikesroth

Are you alll going to have some Coral Chow at the next meeting?  Not sure I want to go through all of that to make some (for one coral). :)  Is there something else that would be ok to use in the meantime?

Jen claims that she got some type of 'crab' when she got this rock (I haven't seen it yet), do you think that could be it, or her Emerald crab?  She has only been putting in a little bit of flake food for her emerald, but I dont think it has been a whole lot.  She also said they have been disappearing randomly, here and there.

I got some new zoos from cowrie (thanks again) and they are all doing great. so far i have 5 emerald crabs even though they kinda wade through the xenia( just touching it but not eating) they have only picked around my zoos. i think what happens with Em's are when they are larger they start having a lager appetite. but less food, and they start clipping at softies, just my thoughts though..... try to get an ID on the mystery crab, it could very well be the culprit. HTH G

also i offer my ems nori, but am unsure whether or not its them or the snails that eat it.