Alkalinity too high! a Problem?

elm66

I am using the Salifert Test and have mot been able to dose the Alkalinity i.e. the color did not change from blue/green to orange/pink even after emptying the entire seringe... That means a dKH of about 16 according to their table. I will check if the test is not faulty by trying another one... but in the case of a correct reading, can this create a problem with my reef/tank?

I am using the 2 parts bionics adding equal amount of #1(alkalinity) and #2 (calcium). My calcium is at about 400 and am trying to raise it to 410. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Best way to bring more back into balance might be water changes....

Dave

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for quick answer. I am changing about 15% of the tank every week-end. I am thinking of adding only the calcium part of the 2 part bionics and see what it does. Would you know if this has an effect on the corals?

Eric

Dave

Ditto,

I'll actually be around a little more this afternoon than I thought, neighbor! :biggrin:

I just cleaned my front glass's for the first time this month too.

PM me some contact info.

The rest of you guys watch out, we're springing up all over the place here in McLean.

Tell us what you have in your tank, or did I miss that in an earlier post?.

I am thinking of adding only the calcium part of the 2 part bionics and see what it does.

They immediately loose their "balanced additive" status by doing so and the roller coaster begins to pick up pace. Plus, don't worry about raising the CA 10ppm.

You'll find that having a higher ALK with a lower CA is much better than a low ALK and a high CA. As long as my ALK is around 9-10, I have no problem with a CA as low as 350ish.

IWS,

Stop adding all together and exchange water as Dave suggested.

Bring over some water and your test kits and we'll check it out.

Listen to the flower guy... that's exactly what I was going to recommend.

So water changes, test see where the levels are and don't add anything until you are sure you need. it.

Dave

Listen to the flower guy... that's exactly what I was going to recommend.

So water changes, test see where the levels are and don't add anything until you are sure you need. it.

Dave

Thanks all,

I will do a 20% water change today then see what are my levels. Of course no bionics.

Eric