stocking

jamal

i am working on my stocking list for a 180 with a hob fuge and as large a sump as i can fit. stilll need to measure but at least a 55gal tank. anyway right now i have a yellow tang and a cb angel i have removed one yellowtail damsel and once i get the other one i will be getting rid of them. i want to keep the tang and the angel in additon i want the melanarus wrasse a sohal tang a mandarin a clown or two and 5 bartlett anthias fish also considering a blue throat trigger. i will be running the ati bubblemaster 200 for this setup and a 18 watt uv sterilizer. comments suggestions please?

i am working on my stocking list for a 180 with a hob fuge and as large a sump as i can fit. stilll need to measure but at least a 55gal tank. anyway right now i have a yellow tang and a cb angel i have removed one yellowtail damsel and once i get the other one i will be getting rid of them. i want to keep the tang and the angel in additon i want the melanarus wrasse a sohal tang a mandarin a clown or two and 5 bartlett anthias fish also considering a blue throat trigger. i will be running the ati bubblemaster 200 for this setup and a 18 watt uv sterilizer. comments suggestions please?

i would say, first off, drop the idea of the sohal. they are MEAN, and they get huge. i don't really think that a 180 is big enough for them long term. they have no problems viciously killing any other fish that irritates them. i've seen videos of them slicing open huge fish like it was nothing.

i might worry about the bartletts and the mandarin with the trigger in there too, especially once it gets bigger. blue throats won't eat coral, but small fish might be too much to resist.

also, wait a few months after the fuge is up and running to add the mandarin.

Edited by Charlie97L

i would say, first off, drop the idea of the sohal. they are MEAN, and they get huge. i don't really think that a

Just to offer my own opinion...

I have a mere 125, and have had a beautiful Sohal in there for 18 months.

I also have half a dozen chromis, a diamond goby, a mandarin, cleaner shrimps. All fat.

My sohal is about the size of all the other fish combined, but hes nowhere near too

big for the tank, and he's not a lot bigger than he was when I got him 18 months ago.

He's definitely an aggressive and voracious feeder, but he's never picked on the

other fish. Even my mandarin gets enough food to stay fat (he loves PE mysis)

I'm not saying they dont get big or aggressive, just that mine isnt.

I think Sohals are one of the most beautiful marine fish there are. Well worth the effort.

As for the mandarin, you're really going to want to get him eating prepared food, so I

personally wouldn't wait (although I did because I didn't realize it wass easy to get them

eating prepared food). I squirt PE mysis at mine with a turkey baster and he

goes after it.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

yea i thought as much with the trigger especially with the p shrimp i have in there. but with the sohal if i added him after everyone else i figured i might do ok.

lucky mandarin eating mysis. nice work!

Yeah, when he started eating it, I was real happy. I held off getting

a mandarin for a long time because of what everyone says.

Both my diamond goby and mandarin didn't seem to be eating at all other

than what they could scavenge or get from the LR/LS, which doesn't seem

to be enough.

PE mysis got them both eating. I tried a number of other foods, including

other mysis. I really think PE mysis is a completely superior product.

All it took was squirting it near them with a turkey baster a couple times

and they were hooked. They actively swim out and compete for it now.

Also every fish in my tank loves arcti-pods.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay