Acrylic sheeting for refugium

rancor1

acme plastic in alexandria they are the phone book under plastics, I went with peidmont in beltville but thats an hour drive at the least, table saw, sand paper, shims, and this web site should help http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

Already been there.....great great site - just need the raw materials.....what did yours run?

wow, was thinking along the same lines.....I dropped my HOB DIY fuge and need to rebuild....had just sent a PM the flowerseller on the topic but will post here too.....

What thickness should I be looking for? 1/4" is thicker then the original fuge....looks closer to 1/8". Found a site professionalplastics.com that sells plexi off all types and was looking at the following....

1) .250 THICK #2025 EXTRUDED ACRYLIC (SACR.2502025E)

Size: 18 x 36 Inches (black) Qty: 2, Price Per unit $41.90, subtotal $83.80

2) .250 THICK CLEAR EXTRUDED ACRYLIC P/M (SACR.250EP)

Size: 5 x 24 Inches Qty: 4, Price Per Unit: $7.86, subtotal $31.44

3) .250 THICK CLEAR EXTRUDED ACRYLIC P/M (SACR.250EP)

Size: 5 x 36 Inches Qty: 2, Price Per Unit: $12.91, subtotal $25.82

total 141.06....not including shipping

What do you think? would require drilling holes for plumbing...and gluing of course but should I be looking for thinner material? Is Extruded Acrylic ok to use?

The fuge that broke was 36in x 18in x 4in and hung on the back of my 55 (glass) and then up until I stupidly knocked it off my 90 (plexi). Was going to do a rebuild since 4 of the 5 sides now have LARGE cracks....not going to to HOB unit again but will need to fit behind display tank.....just for filling with water and chaeto

I wonder if acme plastic would be cheeper.....esp with adding in shipping costs.

I'd like to build my own refugium - anyone know a place in the area I can get the right acrylic and tools to do the job?

IF YOU WANT TO GET IT QUICKLY LOWES AND HOMEDEPOT CARRY ACRYLICS. YOU MIGHT PAY A LITTLE BIT MORE BUT YOUR PAYING FOR CONVENICE.

I wonder if acme plastic would be cheeper.....esp with adding in shipping costs.

Yes! In fact, many of the pieces you need could probably be picked out of their scrap piles. I've found 1/4" pieces there up to about 18x30ish in clear, white, red or black scrap there--all at $2/pound. I try to stop in every couple of weeks and pick up a few pieces to play with.

about 85 dollars precut the guy gave me a deal but took me two hours to get to beltville because of traffic.

Already been there.....great great site - just need the raw materials.....what did yours run?