what the heck is this on my monti?

Charlie97L

what the heck is this white stuff on my monti? i just noticed it. it's flowing in the current. all around the edge and randomly on the main body. new growth? EH? HELP!

this is about a 4" colony, to help with perspective. i think they are too big for nudis, and they don't look like any pics i've seen of them.

gallery_761_98_8080.jpg

Edited by Charlie97L

Sounds like slime (but it's impossible to tell from that picture)...

Is there somethgn irritating the monit?

Dave

(edited)

Sounds like slime (but it's impossible to tell from that picture)...

Is there somethgn irritating the monit?

Dave

no, but i took that picture only a few hours after i put it in the tank.

however, it wasn't becoming evident until after the lights are off.

there's no signs of predation, it's ridiculously healthy.

this morning, a lot of it was gone, but there still were a few small spots. i guess i'll see what happens after the lights go out tonight.

i need a better camera, any recommendations?

Edited by Charlie97L

Look for small frilly white nudibranchs about 3 mm long. They will leave a nice bright white spot where they have been. Look especially under ledges as well, on the underneath.

And pray that you do not see them. Pray that is just some irritant. I heard a rumor about some coming in on some aquacultured monits recently.

(edited)

Look for small frilly white nudibranchs about 3 mm long. They will leave a nice bright white spot where they have been. Look especially under ledges as well, on the underneath.

And pray that you do not see them. Pray that is just some irritant. I heard a rumor about some coming in on some aquacultured monits recently.

well i got this from reeling reefer, and he's had this in his tank for over a year, with a load of other monti's... i think he'd have seen some damage by now.

someone on RC suggested vermetid snails. it looks like a mucous featherduster, almost.

i'm almost positive it's not nudis. i know what those look like, and these are WAY too big, and not the right shape.

edit: they've been positively IDed as vermetids. solution... cover the holes with a bit of epoxy for 2-3 days, then remove. no more snail.

THANKS GUYS!!

Edited by Charlie97L