Where to get Southdown or similar sand?

tygger

My 72g tank is coming together... surely, but slowly. I have all of my equipment now, just need to put my sump together and do a little bit of plumbing.

After that, I'll need to get some sand. Does anyone know if any of our lfs stores carry this stuff? Last I heard, Reef Tank had some, but this was a couple months ago.

Thanks.

yeah call the reef tank they can get it if they dont already have it in stock, call them and let them know how much you need so they can get it for you.

Guest mikesroth
I have also heard that Southern States stores have had it in.  Also, if you don't mind a little "Road Trip" the Home Depot in York, PA carries the Old Castle brand.  Last I heard they had a couple of pallets going.

Guest mikesroth

:) Well we do live a bit further up the road that most of you.

Umm, I want to say that I paid $4.99 a bag for them, but this was a couple of months ago, so the memory is starting to fade. hehe

$5 per bag isn't bad at all. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of $15/bag. Guess I'll have to call when Im ready to buy. Thx.

I picked up some at Southern States in Manassas about 2 months ago, it ran $6 a bag. I have 5 bags left over you can have if you don't mind a road trip Lovettsville, Va. we're about 10 miles west of Leesburg. I just got done setting up a new 75G and 4 bags gave me about a 2" sandbed.

Chris