Tank spawning 8/22/04

michaelg

12:35 am- ?

Colony of proto-palyotha (? need to check) started releasing egg bundles.  single bungle about 1-2 mm in size from each oral disk.. Disk would then close up, reopen, and another packet would be released.  At least 90% colony participated.

Went to bed at 1:35am

6:45 am-

Major damage.  Water all light milky white, some smell though not too strong.  All montiporas severely bleached (5 species) All euphyllia look real bad (3), galaxea colony- RTN'd.  Fish, acropora, anenomes, zoanthids, and colony I observed spawning appear fine.  Serious water changes under way.  Skimmer should be back on line tomorrow.  Strong air bubble running in sump.  Fresh carbon.  Not sure if I will change the light period.  Anyone experiment with this after a bleaching?

Arghhhhh, just when I thought things had settled down.

6:45 pm.  Sadly, my CBB died.  The other fish all seem fine.  Really bummed now.

Michael

Guest Houshan

Michael,

Sorry to hear the damage part.  At least your tank conditions seem excellent if there's spawning going on, right?

- Jose

Wow that bundle of polyps must have created quite a coral toxic soup :(

Sorry to hear that and thanks for letting us know.  Not sure what else that can be done beyond what you are already doing.

strange how it was selective on what it did damage to.... The montiporas I wasn't suprised at- they seem to be most sensative to bleaching (more so than acropora- which are more prone to rtn).  Frogspawns were a suprise- unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about the damage done, I guess on a lighter note maybe all the conditions were correct for this to happen, in creating a closed ecosystem all the conditions were correct in this setting as in nature..... hmmm just a thought,  hope all goes well with the recovery.

Yeah- in tank spawnings are a good sign that conditions are healthy in the tank.  Unfortunately, given our small environment and water volume available to dillute what is released, it can cause serious problems.  This mat colony, unfortunately, is not conducive to fragging.  Fragging helps to prevent spawning- basically energy availability in the coral is directed towards healing and growth, rather than reproduction.  Rather amazing how the biology works in an organism like this.  Somehow, it "knows"....think about it for a while.

Michael