DIY needle wheel impellar for the cost of a bioball

Jager

so i was perusing Reefcentral. and run across in the middle of a building a walmart food container skimmer thread, a way to make a bioball into a needlewheel.

I wrote this up and posted it all onto my puffersite www.pufferresources.net and figured a bunch of people here could probably reap the benefits of the 20 minute mod.

the guy who posted it on RC used a maxijet 1200. but ive sucessfully modified a rio1700 rvt pump a mag 3 mag 5 and mag 9.5 a maxijet 1200 and a catalina aqariums 600gph pump.

what does this give you in return. well my pumps require a 1/3 of the air,. and create a white milky frothe that is impossible to see through. micro bubble sizes look like a euroreef or similar.

even on the venerable hate machine the seaclone skimmer the mod boosted its preformace well over 200% on a 1/3 the air in testing.

recirculation mods to asm and other skimmers can now be done using the maxijet series of pumps for alot less, and the hook ups are as easy as electical conduit in the local homedepot or lowes.

click the link for the photos

http://pufferresources.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280

Ill post more here when i get my good camera, the photos for now are not that great.

the impellar there in the photos is a mag 3/5 impellar.

I agree. The mesh/thread-wheel has been successful with a number of DIYers on RC with Octopus, ASM and Euro-Reef skimmers. It looks really promising, so I might either make a threadwheel or buy a new Bubble Master.

Edited by danskim