Time to buy a pH monitor

jamesbuf

I've been waiting to find a used one on here, but I think it might be time to just buy a new one. Since I keep reading about people having to clean their probes and eventually replacing them, I'm curious to know why no one uses the handheld units like this one http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F5...9/Itemdy00.aspx

Am I wrong in thinking that since it doesn't hang in the tank 24/7, there'll be less long term problems? I understand that it doesn't provide constant montioring, but are they any other drawbacks to these kind. Also, if anyone else has experience with another brand, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a pinpoint marine. It's great. I can't believe I went for almost a year without it. I can turn it on or off, or just leave it running all the time. I guess the probes need to be recalibrated about every 6-12 months, and possibly replaced in 18, but they are fairly cheap ($15?) and that more than makes up for the PITA chemistry set testing. Because it's so easy it's something that I actually pay attention to.

No even the handheld ones need to be calibrated regularly... they can be had pretty cheap though...

Dave

I have 2 pinpoint monitors, 1 is 1.5 years old the other is more than10 but they will need new probes.

$25.00 each. The digital display monitors work fine and are in great shap.

The replacement probe generaly costs about $50.00 and may be stocked locally.

PM if interested. I will be cleaning out a bunch of equipment soon so it's FCFS.

I have a one and it works just fine. You can check pH at differnet times to find your range instead of an in tank probe with a memory.

I think a monitor is a waste of money. When it comes to ph, there are only two things you want to do:

1. Check it every so often. In which case a full time monitor is overkill.

2. You want to control the ph - either the ph of your tank via kalkwasser, or the ph in your calcium reactor. A monitor will not control anything, and in the end, you will have to buy a controller. So the monitor was a waste of money again.

And get the lab grade probe - they last almost twice as long and stay in calibration better.

hmm, sorry but i have to disagree with you JC.

I think a monitor is good buy, it's alot easier to flip a switch on, than to do a test every so often. Most people are more inclined to turn it on than acutally test it. If he is using a test kit the monitor will be alot more accurate. I think PH is a very important spec in the tank and to be able to check it everytime i look at my tank is a good feeling. You don't want it to change too much.

Even if you don't have a controller a monitor is an excellent product to have on hand.

Just my 2 cents.

James, you can pm me i have a used one as well, just upgraded to a controller.

JC, I agree with Bob, I've been without one on my new setup since the start and after using one in my old setups, I miss the peace of mind it gave me in the worst of ways!! If you have a system with Corals in it, you should be keeping an eye on your PH to see if you need to add additives or Not. Just recently I've been dosing with a 2.5g doser and chip did a Alkalinity test on my system and I was off the charts!! With a PH, I could have at least seen my PH was sky high as well and brought it back under control. As the saying goes an ounce of prevention is better than a lb. Of cure!!

I'm interested in a controlling unit as well, hence been holding off from getting just a PH unit but it might be time to buy?

I have a handheld controller from Eutech Instruments I got from Marine Scene. I'm not sure if I trust it. It is reading 8.2 right now almost immediately after calibration, when the salifert tests and my other drip test agrees at a little over 8.3, plus it read a bit strange when I brought it to Sean to make sure I was calibrating it correctly.

I am also thinking about a controller. should I start another thread for a controller discussion?

i guess my point is: if you are going to spend $100 on a monitor, you might as well spend the $200 now and get a controller. In other words: spend $200 now for a controller, or $100 plus $200 for a monitor and controller. Getting a monitor is like getting a medium quality skimmer or light setup - in the end you will buy the more expensive/best quality equipment any way and spending money on equipment to get-by for now is a waste. I certainly went this route (monitor and then controller) and it looks like other folks have as well.