Heat issues from mag pumps

I'm going to be installing my new plumming soon, and I can't take the heat. I will be hooking up a mag 24 and mag 7 pumps, the latter is for and ETSS skimmer, and the 24 is going to be my return pump. I think I'd like to run them both externally, will this make any diffence in the amount of heat they dump into the water? Is there any practicle reason to run them in sump, or externally? :why: Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be installing my new plumming soon, and I can't take the heat. I will be hooking up a mag 24 and mag 7 pumps, the latter is for and ETSS skimmer, and the 24 is going to be my return pump. I think I'd like to run them both externally, will this make any diffence in the amount of heat they dump into the water? Is there any practicle reason to run them in sump, or externally? :why: Thanks in advance.

dude a mag 24 for a 55 is wayyy too much. i was just having a conversation about this on another thread.

through your sump you should go for 5x-8x turnover, otherwise the water is going through too quickly to be filtered.

from my memory, mags don't like to be run external... if you're gonig to go to that trouble, get a more reliable pump. :) i was just talking about this in "return pump for a 90RR" in general discussion.

Is it my sump or fuge that should have a 5-8 time turn over? I don't know much about this, but I can't see why a 43 x turn over would hurt say a LR chamber or heater/mechanical filtration area, skimmer area etc... will it :eek: ? The purpose of the 24 was to avoid having to put any power heads into the tank, it's going to be throttled waaaay down though

Is it my sump or fuge that should have a 5-8 time turn over? I don't know much about this, but I can't see why a 43 x turn over would hurt say a LR chamber or heater/mechanical filtration area, skimmer area etc... will it :eek: ? The purpose of the 24 was to avoid having to put any power heads into the tank, it's going to be throttled waaaay down though

not enough time for the debris to get picked up by the filters, if you want the crazy flow (i had 47x turnover in current in a 55, do a closed loop for the mag, and 12-16 jets from cpvc tees.

BINGO BINGO BINGO, I can T off the mag 24 and have it dump into the etss skimmer and recirc into the sump, and not have to use the mag 7 at all. Have the other side of the T be my return... any thoughts on that? :biggrin:

sure can. this is my old 55 gallon grow out tank for customers fish.

and yes there are a few thing ppls might raise eyebrows about. but it all worked very well together.

I used two pumps one in each corner, and glued all vertical parts up to the upper loop. that riser tube was 3/4 pvc then an adapter stepped it down to 3/4 cpvc. for jets i used cpvc 3/4 inch tees.

the horizontal loop wasnt glued the pressure from the pumps kept it out, then i could take it apart for cleaning etc, without concern.

here are the pics.

P1010011.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010005_renamed_32696.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

I kinda agree about the MAG24 being a tad more than you want to fool with for a 55g setup.

Figuring you will have a 2400gph setup.

700-900gph that you where going to run the skimmer with the MAG7 could be "T" off leaving 1500-1700gph to go to the main system.

If your running a UV, could send 100-300gph on another "T" leaving 1200-1600gph.

If your pushing about a 4-5' head to say a 1" Seaswirl, you should get a good deal of flow but still ALOT!

Recommendations either a MAG12 or maybe a MAG18 with leaning towards the 12!

Is there any practicle reason to run them in sump, or externally?

Noise. Mag24 run externally will be very, very loud. You have roommates, right?

I wouldn't worry about the heat addition. IME it didn't make too much difference external vs in sump. Nothing a small fan over your sump can't take care of.