Hello local Marine Aquarists.

Jim here.

I got my start, as most of us, I should think, with freshwater fish as a kid, ranging from the community tank to discus. I then "graduated" to saltwater fish, and maintained a 180g reef set up in the mid 00's, before I went to college. Sadly, my reefing career went on hiatius untill about a year ago, but am now back. I started in February of 2023 with a 40g breeder, but have since upgraded to a 100 gallon mixed reef, and at the moment all fish are aquacultured, which is important to me. I joined WAMAS, because I'd like to spend time and learn from local folks who share the same passions.  Other than my reef tank, I have a small 10 gallon tank with some tetras and minnows and neocaridinia shrimp, I also have a 300 gallon pond out back stocked with a combo of Shubunkin and Comet goldfish and rosyred minnows - all of which breed prolificly, so if you're in the market, let me know. I'm looking forward to the May meeting, and can't wait to meet folks.

Jim

Welcome! I'd suggest also joining PVAS, the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, which focuses on freshwater. They have monthly meetings with small auctions, as well as two all-day auctions each year - a good way to rehome any extra fish!

Welcome to the club and cheers to getting back in salt. We are looking at ways to add more events besides the quarterly meetings, based on member survey last year others also looking for more activities and interaction.  Hopefully soon we will roll out some LFS tour days; and schedule some coffee meetups as a way for members to meet others in their area since there is a little distance and travel time to get around the capital region.