Marc Levenson's video on top 5 reasons people leave the hobby

We had Marc here last summer to speak to the club.  I often listen to his videos and many times learn something new and/or get inspired to try something new or it keeps me motivated to keep up with maintenance. 

Yesterday's video was another interesting topic, and I found myself guilty of posting pictures of things when tank going good but hiding the struggles I've encountered over the 23 years in the hobby.  

Hope you all enjoy his video and it keeps you inspired to keep trying in the hobby. 

Post your comments below and share your thoughts and experiences. 

For me it's boredom. The tank becomes more of a chore then it is an enjoyment. I love to look at it, but I rarely have the time anymore. The only reason I haven't made any changes or broken it down is because it's pretty much on cruise control sans basic maintenance. 

I think the lies/misinformation is another really big piece. Facebook has changed groups & forums forever, and maybe not for the better. I see so many folks speaking on something that they have no idea what they're talking about. 

(edited)

I find I'm more like Marc - I just love the hobby and couldn't imagine not doing this (19 years since my first reef tank, wow!), so I'm just hooked. I think the difficulty in finding sound, consistent advice to be the most frustrating. I think Ryan from BRS had some of the best advice I've heard for newcomers to the hobby - pick one person and follow their advice. Reef systems can be so biologically/chemically complex, that when you pick and choose from multiple sources (and when many are of unknown validity online) you can quickly find competing advice and end up in a more challenging and frustrating situation. Having been around a while, I know there are certain sources I will go to for advice, and other sources I will treat with more skepticism. For someone starting out, it's really hard to choose. I've often just pointed newcomers to the videos BRS puts together. I don't always fully agree with their choices, but I do believe Ryan is driven by a desire to help more people be successful, so his advice will have a high likelihood of helping newcomers.

Perhaps one thing the club could do to help newcomers is compile a few sites/sources that are good references and put them on a sticky? BRS, Melev's Reef, Wetwebmedia, Humble Fish, I know there are others I'm missing. Maybe categorize them? 

Edited by cpeguero

• 2 weeks later...

You’re showing your age in the hobby with wet web media. I

remember when I first started, I would submit questions to WWM and was excited when I would get answers from Bob Fenner. His short answers always required follow up questions, lol. Better than the randos from reef central. 

i think the best thing for newbies is reference the Berlin method: skimmer, live rock and water changes. At least until they learn the basics. 

In 1988 set up a tank with fresh live rock sunlit from a window [DUTCH REEF].......then moved on to a 110 with a deep reverse sandbed/ozone and heavy chemical filtration  with no water changes this has been an easy successful way to keep reef tanks for over 30 years......I have seen so many people leave its unreal i believe its the belief that you need to do water changes that drives people away......you become a slave to your tanks.