New To Hobby

liquidgsr

Hello.  I posted in the welcome area recently.  New to the Hobby.

Current Setup:

Waterbox 130.4

120 Eshopp Protein Skimmer

Jaebo Return Pump

2 MP40s

Cheap Amazon ATO

2 Nicrew 150w three puck lights/w controller

Hygger 900w Titanium Heater

Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor currently not running

2 Filter Socks

Apex Neptune System

Auto fish feeder from Amazon (just ordered the Avast Marine Feeder)

current fish: 

1 Oscellarius Black Clownfish

1 Percula Clownfish

2 Firefish Gobys

1 Yellow Clown Goby

1 Orange Spotted Goby

1 Blue Hippo Tang

1 Purple Firefish Goby

1 Coral Beauty

CUC:

3 or 4 Nassarius Snails

Numerous Margarita Snails

100lbs of rock from Addictivereefceeping (would not buy from again)

Hanna Master Test Kit

Just picked up a Apex Neptune system (still trying to figure out how to use it)

2 Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemones 

Coral:

Mix of Zoas, Duncan, Anacaporas, Montipora, Kenya Tree, and some unkowns, all picked up locally from members.

KIA -

Six Line Wrasse

Coral Banded Shrimp

5 Conch

Numerous Snails

Numerous Hermit Crabs

Few Coral

MIA-

Cleaner Goby

IM 16G AIO

Protein Skimmer (came with it, bought second hand from a member)

Return Pump (came with it)

2 Filter socks on each end

Hygger Tatanium Heater

Hydor Koralia wave maker

Kactoily 7 in 1

Auto fish feeder from Amazon

Stock

2 Ora Lighning Maroon Clownfish

1 Turbo Snail

No sand

2 BIO Squares in tank and some  pieces of live rock in sump from larger tank

image.thumb.png.d3d22f87e712d0125ff9a0146d1e1c93.pngPicture of Waterbox 130.4 before doing some changes and adding coral.

Wrasse recently died and so did the Shrimp after just putting them two days ago.  I did quarantine them and acclimated them before adding them to the tank.  Not sure why they died.  The snails and conch probably died after not having enough algea to eat.  LFS said to buy a lot and after getting rid of all the algea they died.  Not happy about that info from the LFS, but lesson learned.

I picked up a Apex Neptune from a WAMAS member and also a Kactoily 7 in 1.  I setup the Apex Neptune and moved the Kactoily 7 in 1 to my 16g IM Ora Lightning Maroon Clownfish tank, but the salinity isn't showing anymore.  I have to figure that part out.  How do I hook up my 2 Ecotech MP40s to it?    I am still trying to figure out how to use this system and just have everything set to on.  I am also trying to figure out how to route my ATO and lights to Apex system.  I am looking for a Trident as well to add to the system.l. 

Side note, went to Aqua Haas and talked to Adam.  He said Phosphate levels are very high and need to lower them and said to raise the Alkalinity.  I just did a water change.  I need to do another water test, hopefully today and see how they are.  Picked up a Coral Beauty, Percula Clownfish, Orange Spotted Goby, Coral Banded Shrimp, and Turbo Snail from Fintastic.  Unfortunately the Shrimp didn't make it.  It hid right away in the tank and after 2 days died for some reason.  Fish are all happy.  I can't find my Cleaner Goby, He was maybe a half in inch long and I cant find him anywhere.

Side note, I am redoing my sump and noticed a lot of debri buildup at that bottom.  How do you all clean out your sumps of all that?

If you read through all that thanks haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Super

On 1/18/2024 at 9:51 AM, liquidgsr said:

Side note, I am redoing my sump and noticed a lot of debri buildup at that bottom.  How do you all clean out your sumps of all that?

Welcome  :cheers:,

#1 way imo, add a small powerhead/pump where you have the deadspots and that'll help the Filter Socks/Skimmer pick up the debris, instead of settling in those dead spots. 
        or, you can just spot clean those areas using a Siphon/GravelCleaner if its not that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the sump debris: Routine scheduled cleanup is pretty normal. Some people will shut the flow down and use an inexpensive bucket-head wet-or-dry vacuum (available at Home Depot) to suck the final bit of wet muck out of the bottom of their sump. They're about $30 these days. 

Cleaning sump - I often use a python hose connected to sink faucet that creates suction to vacuum the detritus; also use the python gravel-vac tube and hose & drain in brute trash can as well if doing bigger cleaning / vacuum the deep sand bed.  You can also snag one of those Vivid Creative Aquatics maxi-jet vacuum attachments as a way to power export waste to brute trash can or drain via connected hose.

My opinions on a trident are limited, no personal knowledge owning one.  I have talked with some experienced members who own then and have no issues with them.  I'm also in the Neptune facebook group and see plenty of people asking questions or having issues.  It's probably a handy tool if you got the spare money or travel a lot and can't do testing.  Seems like you need to be careful when swapping out reagent containers otherwise issues can arise.

Connecting MP40 - I think you may need the wxm module that can interface with mp40 wireless signal; or whatever the one is for echotech equipment.

Cheap amazon ATO - not sure how you connect it to Apex - base way would be to plug into an outlet on the EB 832 or EB 8 or EB 4 (EB= energy bar); but then you may be taking up an outlet for controlling other items.  Otherwise I think you can buy some neptune optical level sensors to program as back for high and low water levels.  Might also need to add a FMM module for control them; probably best to learn your Apex and programing statements and get experience before rushing to spend lots money buying accessories.

As for quarantine fish/livestock - I'm no expert but have independent tanks funning to QT stuff and mainly use them to get thing settled, eating well and monitor for visible issues.  I'm sure we have some members who have experience in using certain medicines, but you need to know what you are doing as use of certain medication varies by species.  For what it's worth, Polo Reef Youtube (Adam Sandler in Long Island with the 17,000 home reef tank) put out a video over the weekend on how to QT fish basics that also has a flow chart in description to download. Also good practice is to ask the shop you source your stuff from what meds they use.  

I've been in the saltwater hobby for almost 23 years and still prefer to use salifert test kits - I did pick up a SR aquatics mag-stir gizmo to assist with the testing and plug results into apex to chart water quality.

Fish food - I see you mentioned an auto feeder - depending on quality of foods you are using you may run into issues long-term feeding pellets or flake only.  And may be the source of your high phosphates.

Lighting - I'm not familiar with the brand you have.

Heater - what are you using to control heater - I learned the expensive way in the past of trying to have the Apex control heater via outlet on the EB832.  But it's very hard on the outlet to cycle it on and off to control heater.  Better off getting a Inkbird temp control - you can get wireless that controls 2 heaters - and use the Apex as your backup to shut off outlet if tank temp exceeds your max safe temp. The inkbird can send alerts to phone/ view over phone app to see tank temp; also makes audible alarm - hear mine when do water change and temp probe exposed to air.