Which fish??

rrubberbandman

Hey all,

I am contemplating covering the 75 tank.....

Which fish are known jumpers and which ones arent?

Or is it even logical to not cover tanks?

I have a 20 gallon thats been uncovered for over 2 years and never had any jumper fatalities......out of my OCC. clown pair, tail spot blenny, yellow watchman and up till a month or so ago included a rainfords goby as well.

Thoughts?

While there's a list of jumper fish, almost any could if spooked, so it often comes down to how things get along and whether there are spots for everyone to sleep.

Something like eurobracing or an enclosed hood will have most of the benefits of a full cover, since most launching jumps happen right near the glass, but it doesn't take many discoveries of fish dried up out of the tank to convince you to try a cover.  I expect not to run another permanent tank without one, personally, those are predictable, preventable causes of death, and a basic mesh cover need not be intrusive or bulky.

Edited by DaJMasta

On 11/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, DaJMasta said:

While there's a list of jumper fish, almost any could if spooked, so it often comes down to how things get along and whether there are spots for everyone to sleep.

Something like eurobracing or an enclosed hood will have most of the benefits of a full cover, since most launching jumps happen right near the glass, but it doesn't take many discoveries of fish dried up out of the tank to convince you to try a cover.  I expect not to run another permanent tank without one, personally, those are predictable, preventable causes of death, and a basic mesh cover need not be intrusive or bulky.

Thank you!

I think all fish with maybe a few exceptions can be jumpers, if spooked. I’m my experience, wrasses, particularly flasher wrasses are jumpers. I’ve had maybe 4 in my life and all 4 ended up under the tank, and I ran lids so they found a gap or jumped while I was working on the tank and I didn’t know. Some blennies are tide pool dwellers and jump from pool to pool so it might be in their blood to jump. 

clowns, tangs and the like are usually only jumpers if spooked or bullied.

As others have said, any fish is a potential jumper. Wrasses are the ones I’ve seen jump most often in my tank (and I’ve been glad to have the mesh top). I’ve found mandarins and clowns dried up on the floor. I won’t do a tank that has fish without a cover.