Referral for a new build in SC?

MPiggy

Building a house near Charleston, SC and need help designing a small but dedicated space for a 60-80g tank.  

Always had a tank, but seems to me the hobby has evolved way faster than I.   Been in the hobby for over 20 years (with the same Oceanic cube) - but man, things have changed and my tank has been running fine so it hasn’t - other than the new kessils.

So looking for someone to help me modernize and design the new space and tank in SC.  

Hope this request isn’t too random - any recommendations from WAMAS members are appreciated!

You looking to buy a custom tank, or just kind of plug and play? Do you know what you want to keep? Only fish? Only coral? SPS or LPS, or mixed? What is your idea of a perfect reef aquarium? 

(edited)

Thank you for your questions.  

Could go the custom route, however for a 60-80G cube my display space is very flexible.  Would come down to cost and benefits.  

I want to keep relatively basic animals in the mixed reef.  Currently, have an anemone that is host to a clownfish pair, a barnacle blenny, a snapping shrimp and goby pair, a red cleaner shrimp, tons of mushrooms and zoa, most recent additions of a plate coral and hammer have grown well for just a little over a year.  However, I couldn’t keep Montipora.  

I do not have a sump and never had one.  I have a lot of live rock and a canister filter and a hob protein skimmer.  This set up has been restricted because I live in a coop - where space is a limited.   I *think* I should have a sump on the new set up and this is where I start to get lost.

I plan to have a small enclosed space behind the tank for the outlets and an R/O system.  I will have a lot of space under the display tank.  

As this is my retirement home, looking to spend a little on ease of maintenance.  I love putting my hands in the tank but my back prefers I not lug water buckets.  

Room

Edited by MPiggy

Sounds like everything you want to keep is relatively hearty. I would venture to say you actually don't need a sump, but they are nice to have. The purpose of a sump is two fold 1.) additional water volume 2.) a space to hide all the equipment you wouldn't want to put in the tank (like a HOB skimmer, or a heater!)

It's not complicated in it's simplest form. If you do have a sump, then you need some way to drain the water from your tank into the sump (usually an overflow) and then some way to pump it back in (return pump.) If I'm reading correctly, it looks like you're shy of 3' of depth in your "fish room," I personally wouldn't suggest putting a sump in there. 

I think you can find a nice AIO (All In One) system that would fit your needs. This is a place I think the company Waterbox does well with, but there are many. Essentially the back of the tank has built in filtration and slots to put everything in, it's a built in sump, pictured below. 

image.png.ee0f53be19aaf8b2417b5984cd8bfa17.png

I would suggest putting some water storage containers in your fish room area, one for fresh RO and another one for mixing saltwater. At the end of the day, I would look for a local company or person that could help consult on a water mixing station and water changing system, and maybe even some ideas about how to setup the space! 

Thanks!  

I’m looking for someone - ideally local - but don’t know the community there yet.  Was hoping a former WAMAS member may have moved down there.  

Charleston is a fabulous city!