Proper predator tank size

USMC1812

Hello everyone, I’m new to the hobby and have yet to find an aquarium set up. At first I didn’t know whether I wanted to have corals, or a predator tank. But I think it’s best to start with a predator tank. I wanted a 90 to 125 gallon setup because I was told that I needed the tank to be big enough for the fish that I want (sharp nose puffer, foxface, Naso tang, and yellow tang), but can I go with a smaller tank if I want to get the fish when they’re small and grow them myself? I would obviously upgrade to a bigger tank after a year. Also, what other combinations of fish would you recommend? Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 180 set aside for a predator tank. My goal is to have the dragon moray eel, one or trigger, puffer, and lion fish

First, good job on planning ahead for the livestock you want.

Regarding that livestock, keep in mind a full grown Naso tang is 18 inches long, as long as a typical 125/180 gallon tank is deep. Plus they’re active swimmers. You would likely have to plan to either upgrade to a larger tank or re-home the tang when it gets too big. I ran into the same issue - wanted a Naso tang, but had forgotten their max size, so I removed it from my list. (For reference, my tank is 7 ft x 2.5ft).

I’d recommend adding all the tangs at the same time, to make sure aggression is minimized.

Also, I’d recommend an odd number of tangs - spreads any aggression out and reduces the chance that anyone gets singled out.

Wetwebmedia.com is a fantastic resource on livestock and compatibility questions (and all things aquarium). They have searchable FAQs and articles. Plus, if you don’t find an answer to your specific question, they respond fairly quickly to emails.

First, good job on planning ahead for the livestock you want.

Regarding that livestock, keep in mind a full grown Naso tang is 18 inches long, as long as a typical 125/180 gallon tank is deep. Plus they’re active swimmers. You would likely have to plan to either upgrade to a larger tank or re-home the tang when it gets too big. I ran into the same issue - wanted a Naso tang, but had forgotten their max size, so I removed it from my list. (For reference, my tank is 7 ft x 2.5ft).

I’d recommend adding all the tangs at the same time, to make sure aggression is minimized.

Also, I’d recommend an odd number of tangs - spreads any aggression out and reduces the chance that anyone gets singled out.

Wetwebmedia.com is a fantastic resource on livestock and compatibility questions (and all things aquarium). They have searchable FAQs and articles. Plus, if you don’t find an answer to your specific question, they respond fairly quickly to emails.

@cpeguero thank you so much for your feedback, I’ll definitely be sure to check out that website. I was thinking about getting a 75 to 90 gallon tank and buying all my fish super small and then upgrading to a bigger tank in a year.

Glad to provide inputs where I can. Be wary of plans to upgrade to a bigger tank “later”. It makes sense, just be aware that the tangs in cramped quarters when they outgrow the space can lead to aggression. Not trying to discourage you, just make sure you go in “eyes open”.

If life gets in the way and delays the upgrade, don’t feel bad about needing to make arrangements if the fish get too big and need to be moved. They probably won’t in just a year or two, but one year has a way of turning into more really easily

Starting a 90 then upgrading to a 180 in a year would render most of your year old equipment useless, and poor resale on this type of equipment. If you want big fish, get a big tank now. 

I just setup a 120 and only adding one tang, which is a bristletooth/tomini, which stay on the smaller side as far as tangs go. 

Also, the list of fish you included is not what I would consider a predator tank. In terms of yellow tangs, I am not sure about now but there was a ban in Hawaii on shipping these out. I think they now cost a fortune. Just an FYI 

You should really plan out exactly what you want, so you don't start buying equipment you won't need.