Kamoer X2SR AWC - What makes the most sense, continuous or single water change?

therootcause

My Kamoer X2SR is currently exchanging 1% of my total water volume daily.  This equates to 6 liters out of my 600 liter system, removed in 1 liter increments 6x per day.  The method used is first out, then in.  With this 1 liter volume I can leave the apex and aquarium running without shutting off the return pump or any systems. My intention is to have the water changes remove pollutants and introduce new water continuously during the day while I am at work.  Is there a more efficient way to do this?  Is it a waste of water / is anything actually being accomplished?

I'm asking for math help.  I understand the concept of "a 50% change will reduce a contaminant by 50%" (assuming the new water has none of the contaminant).    What I am not able to calculate is the math for a continuous small water change.  With my parameters listed below, I am not interested in reducing nutrients by 50%, but I would like to know if there is value in a small continuous water change. At my current rate, my 55 gallon drum of clean water will last about 30 days - at a cost of about $150 in salt/per year to run the 6 liter per day continuous water change.

I'm dosing Tropic Marin All for Reef + Fritz RPM Part 1 Alkalinity as my alkalinity consumption outpaces my calcium.

My nutrients are currently:

pH: 8.24 on a 3-day average (Min: 8.12, Max: 8.37)
Alkalinity 8
Calcium: 470
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0

There is a really great article on this topic I read a while back, but unfortunately I didn't save the link.  I can't help with the math, but I do know that in general, doing a 35g change once a week is a little bit more efficient at reducing waste than doing a 5g change 7 days a week.  If I had an auto water changer though, I'd go for the continuous changes because you never know when something is going to die, or something in the atmosphere gets into the water, or pets stick their paws in the water. 

Thank you - I found a 2017 post from Randy at BRS on R2R and also a link to his write up on the topic ---> ReefKeeping.Com Water Changes.  Below is the screen shot of his R2R reply.

I tested it last night and I'm able to remove 6 liters in one shot and replenish without turning off pumps so that's what I'm going to do moving forward.  This will equate to a 26% change monthly.

image.thumb.png.403d5073d555cb34add2a5a32c1f410d.png