Refugium in place of a sump any recommendations?

WarChief

Looking for suggestions if this has been done before or why it could be bad?

So, I have been going crazy brainstorming. I really wanted a sump and was looking at HOB Overflows however, my space below my tank is too small to house a skimmer. I then decided to do a HOB Skimmer, then changed to an internal skimmer (Tunze 9012 COMLINE) which removes the HOB part of that aspect, I then decided why risk flooding for a sump? I can add a self-contained Refugium (Aquafuge-2 Large) and set it up as a smaller refugium/ filter since the skimmer is in the tank. This keeps both aspects from being possible flood issues. I am picking up 3x Kessil 360Xs today and will be getting 2x Radion Xr15s. The lights will go, in order from left to right, 360Xs, Xr-15, 360Xs, Xr-15, 360Xs which should be plenty adequate for my tank. I decided to keep the FX6 Cannister filter too as it provides a really good means to remove crap from the water. it may hinder some of my efforts with bacteria but I highly doubt it will be much.
AND NO I AM NOT DRILLING THE TANK!

Sure... lots of people have done similar things, especially when starting out. There are just trade-offs... 

Some people want to minimize equipment in the tank. Some want to avoid as many chances of leaks/ flooding as possible. Some like to see the refugium parts in their main display - so much so that they intentionally grow macroalgae alongside their corals for a more natural reefscape (although small floating bits can interfere with an in-tank skimmer).

With an in-tank skimmer, you have a higher risk of microbubbles. But I do this on my QT tank and never really notice it.

The main downside of an in-tank refugium is the inability to run a reverse photoperiod (running lights for algae growth) to help stabilize pH.

It's all about what you need to be successful, and there's no right way.

My Aquamaxx HOB with protein skimmer dumped about 4-5 gallons of water on the floor. Cheato grew and got stuck on the return part and the pump just kept going and started overfilling the HOB. Cheato seems to break up and stops the flow. I have switched to a HOB algae scrubber to control the levels and it seems to work SOOO much better. 

51 minutes ago, WarChief said:

I want to use it more as a sump

What do you mean by this? Sumps typically function by holding additional water, refugium, and equipment. A sump is just defined as a low-lying place (i.e., a tank under a tank). 

Just now, WarChief said:

I mean I plan to put media in it, my heater in it. And use it more for filtration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. If you already have a canister filter, I don't know that I would use it for more media filtration. I would prefer macroalgae, personally.

What goal are you trying to achieve?  If it is nutrient export via macroalgae, I have an idea for you.  I use it on my QT tank to keep nutrients low.   It's an air powered HOB breeder/isolation box that I picked up at that fish place.  I have mine packed with macroalgae.   The air line moves water from the tank into the box (which I illuminate on a reverse photoperiod).   There is no electric pump, and the box is quite small.  It doesn't take much macroalgae to remove nutrients.  

Here is the breeder box. 

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Breeding-Box-Medium/dp/B005QRDCP2/ref=asc_df_B005QRDDJ2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149786275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4566912851745715743&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006599&hvtargid=pla-311934648945&th=1

It would require you to use an air pump, and be sure to use a check valve and elevate the pump to prevent a syphon.  

You can see the small intake tube with air line on my March 20th post on my build thread.

You have a large, non-drillable tank, which is already a compromise before even starting out.  You will likely spend your reefing career devising alternatives to ideal methods.  

Edit:  I've read some of your replies and have a better understanding of what you want to achieve now; a place to hide equipment.  With your non-drillable tank I think the best route is to build your scape in such a way that it limits the view of equipment. Paint the back of the tank black.  Limit cord length and use equipment where cords are external (an MP40 vs a NERO.Jebao).

Edited by therootcause
added link to breeder box

What goal are you trying to achieve?  If it is nutrient export via macroalgae, I have an idea for you.  I use it on my QT tank to keep nutrients low.   It's an air powered HOB breeder/isolation box that I picked up at that fish place.  I have mine packed with macroalgae.   The air line moves water from the tank into the box (which I illuminate on a reverse photoperiod).   There is no electric pump, and the box is quite small.  It doesn't take much macroalgae to remove nutrients.  
Here is the breeder box. 
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Breeding-Box-Medium/dp/B005QRDCP2/ref=asc_df_B005QRDDJ2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149786275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4566912851745715743&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006599&hvtargid=pla-311934648945&th=1
It would require you to use an air pump, and be sure to use a check valve and elevate the pump to prevent a syphon.  

You can see the small intake tube with air line on my March 20th post on my build thread.

You have a large, non-drillable tank, which is already a compromise before even starting out.  You will likely spend your reefing career devising alternatives to ideal methods.  

Edit:  I've read some of your replies and have a better understanding of what you want to achieve now; a place to hide equipment.  With your non-drillable tank I think the best route is to build your scape in such a way that it limits the view of equipment. Paint the back of the tank black.  Limit cord length and use equipment where cords are external (an MP40 vs a NERO.Jebao).

I appreciate the input. I have black vinyl I’m about to put on now. And I added a HOB skimmer. There’s stuff everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk