FCPS teacher looking for salt water tank set-up help

Karen Bendorf

Hello, my name is Karen and I just joined WAMAS thanks to Dave for the tip about the organization. I work at Westfield HS in Chantilly and started a new Oceanography class this year. I have been looking for free and low-cost tanks, supplies, fish, etc through other sites (freecycle, nextdoor, etc) and have received enough to set up several freshwater tanks. I have a few larger tanks and would like to attempt the saltwater setup but am very intimidated by it all! I have a lot of donations and have been trying to sort through what I have and what I need but I just am overwhelmed, and really don't have the time to do all the research. Is there anyone close by who would be willing to help provide some guidance please? All of these tank costs are out of my pocket which is why I have been looking for donations and now learned about WAMAS as a resource. 

One of my small donated tanks seems to be leaking and I'll now need to find a new setup for my shrimp if anyone has a nanotank they are not using. I think i can get the same filter to work. They are ok for now, but will need a new place soon.

Also, I am also looking for opportunities to educate my students (11th/12th graders) about the wide field of Oceanography that includes marine biology, chemistry, environmental science and more. I would welcome guest speakers or suggestions on field trips if anyone has great ideas or experiences to please share. Also, due to lack of funds for field trips and transportation, if there are any grants/funds out there to help reduce costs of expenses that would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to attend the meeting in Feb and hear the guest speaker and possibly make some connections. 

Thank you for reading!

Karen