Feeder Platform for the RSM 130

Origami

My wife has a small, 34 gallon Red Sea Max 130 in her home office. To feed the fish when we leave on vacation, I built a small platform upon which to set an Eheim automatic feeder. It's made from egg crate (light diffuser) material that I had laying around and uses super glue to hold it together. It's just an ad hoc design that I threw together to meet a need one day and, since somebody asked about it in another thread, I thought I'd post it here.

It hangs over the rim of the RSM, at a corner, using the rim and two legs beneath as support. Using the same principles, this design can be easily modified to accommodate other tanks.

This will be a picture story. Assembly details are left to the reader. (It's pretty simple, so this should not be a problem for anyone!)

Here's the platform, mounted on the side of the aquarium. Note that when I'm using it, I have to leave the feeder door open on the top of the aquarium. Note the little "edge hook" on the outside edge of the platform that keep the platform from slipping into the water. you can also see where I had to notch the platform up toward the top of the picture to allow the main body of the RSM lid to stay down.

gallery_2631296_685_12117.jpg

Here's a view of it from the side. You can see one of the edge hooks on the left hand side. Note the little "fingers" that extend off of the bottom of the support legs on the left hand side. These are trimmed to length so that they rest up against the inside edge of the glass when the platform is mounted in position.

gallery_2631296_685_4606.jpg

Here's an oblique view showing a top/front view. Note the notch for the lid and the placement of the support legs. You can also see the other edge hook (the shorter one) that you couldn't see in the first picture (on the left side of the picture).

gallery_2631296_685_2836.jpg

Now, here's a drawing of the parts that make up this platform. Again, it's glued together with super glue. Once it's done, you just place it in position, setting the feeder on top so that the food drops into the tank. Since I sometimes use flake food, I'll use this in conjunction with a feeding ring so that floating food isn't swept away into the overflow.

gallery_2631296_685_21056.jpg

I hope this helps someone!

Neat idea Tom. I drew something similar up once but I like what you did better. I have a little BioCube 29 and it looks like the design would work quite well.