How much trouble am I in?

dbartco

After blowing the pressure relief valve on a new regulator across the room, I closed ALL valves (and you know where I'm going on this!), replaced it and turned on the main CO2 tank. The secondary is now hosed. I guess the diaphram is gone too since it reads about 140 psi, goes around to the pin when on, and all pressure is on the needle. Can it be fixed, or am I off to get another. Please tell me there are others that might have goofed up in their first calc reactor, and I'm not the only idiot?

Can't say I'm a member of this club, but fortunately I learned in a lab how to hook up regulators.  I will put it up to benefit others who are new to this- maybe it would have helped you?

1. make sure regulator is closed (turned way counter clockwise for most)

2. Tighten regulator onto tank- while I used to use teflon tape, I stopped doing this after being told that you don't need it for brcensord.gif on brcensord.gifand it can cause lots of problems.  Make sure it is tight.  This is a little tricky to keep the regulator positioned to where you want to read it.

3. Open the valve on the tank.  The guage closests to the tank should jump to life- this is the pressure in the tank.

4. Slowly open the valve on the regulator by turning clockwise (it will increase in tension as you turn it).  Do this slowly- you will see the second guage come to life slowly.  Stop when you are at about 8 PSI or so (this will depend on your particular needle valve).  This valve controls the amount of pressure going out of tank.  It is rather crude, thus for our purposes, the needle valve described below is used.

5. Look at bubble counter- if no bubbles, make sure needle valve is open.  If still no bubbles, then may need just a touch more.

When starting, you want bubbles to come out every second.  It takes a little fussing to get it right.

If I missed anything here, others please chime in.

Depends. Are you going to call me a dumbs#@! for fouling up my regulator, or just generally curious?

My excuse is that I graduated EE, not ME.