Alkalinity - Don't get it

AndrewRyan

Just when I think I'm understanding the basics of reef chemistry...

I have quite a bit of LPS corals that I have added over the course of the past month or so and all look healthy (open and responsive to food).  I have been feeding twice a week with Reef Roids and they seem to love it.  I purchased TM's All for Reef for what I thought would be a soon and inevitable required dosing schedule.

About a week ago I started to see alkalinity drop about .2 per day, so I started with TM's recommended initial dose and started to see a rise of .2 each day.  I would guess that means the initial dose was adding about .4 each day (.2 for the loss and .2 for the gain).  I started worrying about my dosing, however, when my alk got up to 7.5.  I realize that is not high, but it's .5 above what my TM Pro mixes at so I'm trying to stay at a stable 7 or perhaps a bit higher.

The funny thing is I haven't dosed in four days and my alkalinity continues to stay at 7.5.  It was dropping before and I have seen subtle decrease in measured calcium, so what gives?  I mean, on one hand, I guess I'm saving money not dosing, but on the other I do want my corals to grow. Does my alkalinity staying steady mean my corals aren't growing?  Most confusing is that it was dropping prior to dosing and now that I have stopped, it is staying steady.

Appreciate any advice.  I also did a cursory search of topics prior to posting, but if I missed another post which addresses my issue I would be happy to be directed to it.

Andy

Welcome to the joys of reef chemistry lol. One thing to note, All for reef works a bit differently than most dosing supplements. It relies on biologic process to break down into available alkalinity. So there is a delay in dosing vs showing up on test. It will just take some adjustment to find proper dose for demand. Also alk can vary throughout the day, so make sure you’re testing at around the same time. If the suggested initial dose was too much, start at 1/4 dose and work your way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk