Refractometer calibration?

thewire

So apparently Brightwell calibration solution is not accurate?? I used that solution to calibrate to 35ppt and then i tested it with RODI, the reading is below 0! Someone told me that issue with Brightwell?

Any suggestion or some home made solution you guys used?

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions comparing the solution to rodi (don’t bother with rodi). But I have had bad calibration solution also. I went down a rabbit hole of cross checking with 3 different brands of solutions, diy solution, hannah salinity checker, and hydrometer to verify. Here’s the link to diy solution

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, jhOU said:

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions comparing the solution to rodi (don’t bother with rodi). But I have had bad calibration solution also. I went down a rabbit hole of cross checking with 3 different brands of solutions, diy solution, hannah salinity checker, and hydrometer to verify. Here’s the link to diy solution

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

yea I really do not want to go down that hole! What is your conclusion?

yea I really do not want to go down that hole! What is your conclusion?

conclusion was don’t blindly trust calibration solution, or at least don’t make any changes based on 1 data point. The diy solution worked out well, just have to make sure you measure accurately

On 12/23/2020 at 9:09 PM, jhOU said:

conclusion was don’t blindly trust calibration solution, or at least don’t make any changes based on 1 data point. The diy solution worked out well, just have to make sure you measure accurately

Very true. I tested with 2 other refractometers. Both of them reading 0 on RODI and they are in the 40ppt on the brightwell solution which supposed to be 35ppt

Edited by thewire

Very true. I tested with 2 other refractometers. Both of them reading 0 on RODI and they are in the 40ppt on the brightwell solution which supposed to be 35ppt

don’t calibrate with rodi. If that was the determination solution was off... trust the solution