Pods? Shrimp? and Stars? Oh my!

I never see anything in this fourm ever!

So I thought maybe here would be a good place to ask this..... I've boght a number of "starter kits" at some expense, and I no fish in my tank to speak of except one tiny blue green chromis :bluefish:

I can't see anything I've bought ever, wether it be pods, mini stars, worms, shrimp, anything! My water quality is good, and I have at least 100 lbs or LR in the tank, and flow is abundant but not turbulent....

What am I doing wrong? :why:

I never see anything in this fourm ever!

So I thought maybe here would be a good place to ask this..... I've boght a number of "starter kits" at some expense, and I no fish in my tank to speak of except one tiny blue green chromis :bluefish:

I can't see anything I've bought ever, wether it be pods, mini stars, worms, shrimp, anything! My water quality is good, and I have at least 100 lbs or LR in the tank, and flow is abundant but not turbulent....

What am I doing wrong? :why:

have you tried looking at night with a red flashlight? that might help. pods and microfauna tend to hide during the day.

THey will hide in the sand and rock... give them time...

Also what Charlie said is correct... nighttime (after lights have been out for a while) is the best time to see them.

Dave

THey will hide in the sand and rock... give them time...

Also what Charlie said is correct... nighttime (after lights have been out for a while) is the best time to see them.

Dave

Also, you have to know where/when to look and be patient while looking.

I used to see pods in my display tank, I don't see so many anymore (blame the mandarin). They are still there if I look hard enough. Now if I look in the refugium among the macro, I see quite a few.

Mini brittle stars live in the crevices/holes in the live rock. Again, I don't see any in the display tank although they are no doubt there. If I turn off the return pump from my sump and watch the live rock in the sump, they start coming out of the rock. Something about the die down of current must be a trigger for them to come out to feed. You have to look carefully, they are really small and hard to spot at first.

I have another kind of mini star which I haven't seen in a long time. I'm guessing if I scooped some sand out of the refugium and sifted through it I would find some. The shrimp I don't know about, I would love to get a breeding population going, but have never seen them to date. Maybe I'll get some by trading sand at the next meeting.

What I'm trying to say is that it is probably (hopefully) there. Just keep looking!!!

Well ok sounds good, what kind of bulb can I use to grow the cheato they propagate in....? I just want to use a reqular drop light fixture with a cheap reflector....