Halides to T5s

mogurnda

Of those of you who have switched to T5s from halides (or vice-versa), have you taken before and after shots? I have searched the site, but didn't find anything. Just curious about how the look of the tank changes.

T5s are a type of flourscent bulb...Much brighter than most flourscents and abel to be fitted with individual reflectors they can cast more light than many MH setups...

I have such a setup....

They run cooler than typical MH setups so less overheating issues, are lower profile than MH systems so you can for example put them into a stock tank hood..

You don't get shimmer lines with them, plus you get more uniform light throughout the tank (which can be either a good or bad thing depending on what you are trying to grow.

Dave

Dave-

What kind of fixture do you have? I have 2 36" TEK fixtures with Geissman bulbs (2 actinic and 4 blue plus in each) and I get the shimmer lines. They are very subtle when all the lights are on but when only the actinics are on they are strong.

Granted, they are nowhere near as strong as with MH bulbs......but at least they are there

Steve,

I did a retro... I originally put in 8 x 80W bulbs with IC Ballasts... I have since replaced one of the 80W T5 bulbs with a URI VHO (actinic for actinic).... The URI VHO actinic is MUCH better than the T5 actincis... much better coral POP.

Dave