What fish WONT destroy my reef?

Guest JFish

Guest JFish

Well...I had planned out getting the following for my 58 gallon reef tank.

2 percula clowns

5 citron gobies

1 dwarf angel (brazilian flameback most likely)

So far I have gotten the clowns and the gobies and I am in the process of catching my gobies and banishing them to the refugium until I find a new home/give them back to MS (which by the way said they would take back for store credit).  The clownfish are fine...so I have 2 permanent fish in there right now.

Now I am wondering if I will be trying to catch the angel for picking on corals/clams if I happen to put one in the tank.  This got me to thinking and I really have no clue what fish I can have that WONT destroy the inverts that I have living in my tank.

The only things I can think of are cardinals and gobies other then the citron/clown gobies...(ie. a watchman goby or something).  I could maybe try dottybacks or grammas, but what I am looking for is a few smaller fish and one single larger (compared to the others) fish like a dwarf angel...but not so sure that is a wise choice.  Can anyone think of something that would fit my criteria and be different than what everyone else in the world has?

Just wondering and rambling,

Hey John-

How about one of the fairy wrasses or maybe some purple firefish? I have two firefish and they seem totally harmless and have really nice color.

John

I would personally also suggest cardinals or fire fish.  I think the common red firefish with the tall fin is nice also.  I'd also suggest doing a minor tank re-arrangement before adding the new fish so it's like new territory to the existing clowns.  Clowns can be territorial like Cichlids.  Just my $.02

There are no absolutes in fish/reef keeping. Angels are hit or miss - some nibble, some don't. Most dwarf angels don't pick on coral, but as I said no "for sure". (I have a C. Argi that has never nibbled).

Dottybacks don't eat coral, but they are micro-predators. If you're using a DSB you won't have a bristleworm or "pod" in the tank - it'll eat them up in a flash. If you have a refugium then it doesn't matter. An Orchid dottyback (P. Fridmani) is a good choice, not as hostile as other family members (they are distant relatives of groupers).

As Larry said clowns can be very territorial (they are related to damsels). Another option is to put the new fish in a small container in the tank - they can see each other & get adapted w/o be able to fight. I made one by drilling holes in a doll display case (plastic, from Michaels) & hanging it inside the tank.

My choices would be:

1. Orchid Dottyback

2. Dwarf Angel

3. Cardinal

4. Firefish

There are a lot of blennies that fit the bill well in a reef.  Usually you can only keep one though, so find one you really like.  Hawkfish, if you don't keep shrimp, a small longnose hawk may be OK with shrimp (hit or miss).  I have have several angels in the past with no problems- hit or miss though- heard plenty of stories of problems- though a lot of variables.  Quite a few wrasses would be safe- micro fauna decimation is a problem with just about any fish, IMO.

Michael

Guest JFish
Thanks guys...do any of you know where they sell fairy wrasses locally?  I have never seen one...Isn't Scott's Fairy Wrass somewhat common and very colorful?  Again thanks...I'll just have to keep thinking and looking around :)

Guest JFish

I have been looking at fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses online and in magazines...what species would you all suggest?  Should I stick with one male or get 1 male and 2 females?  In particular I was looking at scott's fairy and the carpenter's flasher wrass...both are online at ffexpress.com under their collectors corner right now...just trying to decide...

Im taking back the citrons tomorrow...lets hope getting them out of the 'fuge is easy :)

I have 2 tangs (Red Sea Sailfin and a Hippo) and 2 lemon drop damsels (which are not very aggressive damsels) in my 55.  They are great tank mates.  You need to have enough algae for the tangs, but I have never seen them eat anything else.  If you have a 'fuge then give them some of the macro algae out of there for a treat.

Mandarins are great in a mature tank.  They will eats pods and such, but are not likely to devistate a 58 gal tank.  You must have a lot of tiny shrimp (gramarus, mysids, etc.) running around for them to eat.  They generally only eat live food that they find on your LR.

Guest JFish
I don't believe my tank is large enough for tangs, and the mandarin is at the bottom of my list in the back of my head for future pondering...I know he'll quickly wipe out what I have right now...when my tank establishes in a year or so I my look into them.  I am looking at a super male scott's fairy wrasse from australia (australian ones are supposed to be prettier than the other ones).  I'll have to fence in my open top if I go that route...still thinking, and if anyone else comes up with something that hasn't been mentioned that'd be great.

Guest andrejka

Some time ago Michael asked me if I thougth about keeping anthias. I did, but thought they were almost impossible to keep (feeding 4 times a day with live brine shrimps and such...). Then at last MACNA meeting I've spoken to a guy from DFW club (they hosted the event), and he told me that he feeds his Bartlett's Anthias frozen brine shrimps soaked in Selcon ONCE a day (in small 3-4 portions during half-hour). I almost didn't believe the guy and asked Scott Michael later that evening if he thought the story was true. The guru didn't have any problems with the story (despite his own recommendation on 4 feedings/day). He also recommended to start with either a small shoal (6-7) or just two fish (not 3 or 4, though). So, after coming back from Dallas I bought 2 fish (Pseudanthias bartlettorum) from Leon at CC. One iz slightly larger (3.5") then the other (3"). I put them in quarantine tank and held my breath while offering some Formula I latter in the evening... They went for it as crazy!!! They are in main tank by now, eat whatever is offered (homemade food, frozen brine, Formula, water fleas...), fine with every fish in the tank (pair of Percula Clowns, Ellowbellied Damsel, Lawnmover Blennie and Neon Gobie), don't touch softies, stonies, or clam. And what a beautiful fish they are!!! I sincerely think that they are not only one of the hardiest Anthias, but also the most gorgeous ones! Like everithing about them: coloration, body shape, way of swimming around, blue eyes, blond hair...  (just kidding about hair, though :), nevertheless, their eyes do appear either deep blue or green depending on light). I do try to feed them 3-4 times a day (which I did even when there were no Anthias in the tank).

The only thing I wish for is if I had larger tank, I'd be able to substitute the Blennie by Yellow Tang (and get more Anthias too :))!

Guest JFish
I will consider them...i've got my eye on that wrasse now though :)  Thanks for the info,