Reworking Tank

rja

Has anybody tried to polish scratches out of the glass in their tank? What type of glass do they make the sides of 75 gal Oceanic tanks from? It seems if people are drilling the backs of the tanks you should be able to grind shallow scratches out without destroying tank integrity.

Thanks

Has anybody tried to polish scratches out of the glass in their tank? What type of glass do they make the sides of 75 gal Oceanic tanks from? It seems if people are drilling the backs of the tanks you should be able to grind shallow scratches out without destroying tank integrity.

Thanks

what kind of scratches are we talkin here? deep ones? i don't think you can buff out glass scratches, at least my experience with cars would lead me to belive that... repair chips/cracks with fiiller, sure, but buff out, i'm pretty sure not. do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

what kind of scratches are we talkin here? deep ones? i don't think you can buff out glass scratches, at least my experience with cars would lead me to belive that... repair chips/cracks with fiiller, sure, but buff out, i'm pretty sure not. do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

I have a lead on someone who may be able to buff out scratches. Got the lead from a company on the internet that sells products to buff out airline windows, etc. I'll let you know if that happens. I'm a computer/camera moron, would't even know how to post pictures to a forum. There are a couple of "hazey" areas on the tank where somebody got carried away with a scrubby, I think. Also some regular magnet caused scratches that don't snag a fingernail when you slide over them. Thanks for the input.

One of the second reasons that I just ordered an Acrylic tank was that the exterior scratches can be buffed out if need be. Start with med grade sandpaper wet-sanding and go finer as you go with buffing wheel finishing off, not easy but do-able!

Glass on the other hand is basically not workable with normal equipment to do an acceptable job!

Airline glass is generally an acrylic/polymer types, not glass if my 6 years in the airlines field taught me anything!

One of the second reasons that I just ordered an Acrylic tank was that the exterior scratches can be buffed out if need be. Start with med grade sandpaper wet-sanding and go finer as you go with buffing wheel finishing off, not easy but do-able!

Glass on the other hand is basically not workable with normal equipment to do an acceptable job!

Airline glass is generally an acrylic/polymer types, not glass if my 6 years in the airlines field taught me anything!

That was just one of the types of material they work. Like I said, I'm just trying to find out possabilities. Questions are free. I've already learned how expensive "free" tanks can become. I have nothing to lose until price becomes an issue.

I found someone that can buff out glass, but it is prohibitive. You can only buff out small areas, not whole sides of glass. Cheaper to buy two new tanks than try to buff out one old one.

Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

try looking for it on www.thatpetplace.com . i think ive seen it on the site..

Edited by alex wlazlak

One of the second reasons that I just ordered an Acrylic tank was that the exterior scratches can be buffed out if need be.

True, Howard, but my scratches are always interior. And in really hard to reach areas. If I had a glass tank I don't think I would have the issue at all. Just dreaming of the day when I can replace my acrylic...