Using DC tap water in Freshwater aquarium??

Dell

Hey, sorry I know this is off topic but I have searched it and cant find the answer. I have both salt and freshwater tanks but was wondering that In a freshwater tank is DC tap water safe, as long as I use something like Prime or another dechlorinator?? Or should I stick with RODI? Or the waste water from a RODI unit?

Thanks,

Dell

I use DC tap water in salt and fresh. Sometimes it's the only option, but it is very dirty water. If I run it through an RO/DI system, I usually have to change the cartridges 3-4 times a year.

Use bottled water instead....

A lot of people use RO in fresh water now, especially planted tanks. I've started using it in the GF's tank also. Make sure you test though. You might have to add a buffer or Equilibrium (Seachem) for GH and minerals.

(edited)

I have an RODI for my salt tank. Can I bypass the DI and use it?? I have stuff to remineralize it with. Equilibrium and Replenish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dell

TDS zero water has no Ph and you need to add something to it to give the water ph. We get our water here in Arlington from the same source as DC and it is bad water. Never use it. (My Mom lives in Dewey beach Delaware and the water comes out of the tap at 70 TDS)

I have an RODI for my salt tank. Can I bypass the DI and use it?? I have stuff to remineralize it with. Equilibrium and Replenish.

Yes you can. "T" off between your RO and DI. Keep an eye on ph and others.

My well water comes out at >300tds.

What will happen if I use both? The RO and DI??

I tried a 4 stage system and a poor DI system and neither delivered TDS zero water. 5 stage filter systems generally work well as does a good DI system.  The more cheaper pre-filters you have before the RO membrane the longer that membrane will last.

I tried a 4 stage system and a poor DI system and neither delivered TDS zero water.

That's strange. The last 3 houses I've been in have had a TDS of 150-500 out of wells. 4 stage with no DI has brought down to 2-5 and 0 with single DI. Spectrapure 100gpd system at 40psi and my temps very widely. I do run a duel DI now to go longer between replacements. Can run for a year before post DI starts to show 1.