Peppermint shrimp ate my corals

mari.harutunian

I don't suppose anyone wants it?

It ate one of my birdsnests and I thought nothing of it because it was dying already. Then it started eating my perfectly healthy pink stylo. I have no place to keep it so... it'll probably be dead by tomorrow. 164220981c0aa4d9d0abdb163c8846c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a peppermint shrimp do that. Are you sure it's not a camel shrimp? They look pretty alike and sometimes sold as peppermint shrimp by accident. They are not reef safe and will eat corals if they are not well fed. Hope that helps.

Never had a peppermint shrimp do that. Are you sure it's not a camel shrimp? They look pretty alike and sometimes sold as peppermint shrimp by accident. They are not reef safe and will eat corals if they are not well fed. Hope that helps.

I've considered this and it really doesn't have the white lines of a camel shrimp. It did eat my aiptasia too. Wouldn't put it past my LFS to mix up the two though..

Just to be clear, are you giving away the shrimp or the coral?

Sorry to hear that happened to your coral.

If a shrimp did that to my coral, I might just break out the cocktail sauce.

Just to be clear, are you giving away the shrimp or the coral?

Sorry to hear that happened to your coral.

If a shrimp did that to my coral, I might just break out the cocktail sauce.

I'm keeping the coral. See if I can bring it back to health. As for the shrimp... I don't want to kill it but my car is at the mechanics and I have no sump.. someone has already enquired about it though. I guess I should've had a real game plan because I thought no one would want a shrimp that eats coral.

I've have a pair of peppermints in my tank for a few months now. They've never done anything up until last Friday afternoon when I noticed my single orange ricordia was struggling and losing the orange. I kept an of on the tank all day and then saw the shrimp come over and start picking at it and pulling more of the orange off. I dropped a couple pellets in the back corner where the shrimps hang out and watched to make sure they found them.

Last week I was super busy at work and neglected feeding the tank a bit. I'm assuming the shrimp just got hungry enough to cause trouble. Since then I haven't seen either one pick on the mushroom and the mushroom is also coming back thankfully. Hopefully they didn't get a taste for corals...

I've have a pair of peppermints in my tank for a few months now. They've never done anything up until last Friday afternoon when I noticed my single orange ricordia was struggling and losing the orange. I kept an of on the tank all day and then saw the shrimp come over and start picking at it and pulling more of the orange off. I dropped a couple pellets in the back corner where the shrimps hang out and watched to make sure they found them.

Last week I was super busy at work and neglected feeding the tank a bit. I'm assuming the shrimp just got hungry enough to cause trouble. Since then I haven't seen either one pick on the mushroom and the mushroom is also coming back thankfully. Hopefully they didn't get a taste for corals...

Hopefully. I feed my tank pretty often but I guess the shrimp need often feedings. It only picked at the polyps of the stylo that were the brightest in color and most exposed to light... so I'm assuming it was also for taste.

For future reference, Take one of those plastic dishes with lids you get from chinese food (or similar tupperware) poke holes in it and you can float the shrimp in the Display for a few days.  Saves the animal while protecting your coral.  You'll sometimes see it done with pistol shrimp in LFSs.

(edited)

For future reference, Take one of those plastic dishes with lids you get from chinese food (or similar tupperware) poke holes in it and you can float the shrimp in the Display for a few days. Saves the animal while protecting your coral. You'll sometimes see it done with pistol shrimp in LFSs.

Too bad its too late :/ thanks though! I'll do that next time.

Edited by mari.harutunian