calcium reactor

Guest tgallo

Guest tgallo
hey everyone, im new to the calcium reactor scene and i need help. i just got my reactor and its all greek to me. can anyone give me a hand putting it all together, its made be myreefcreations, and yes it has directions but im kinda slow with this. i live in silver spring md off georgia ave and 495. please email me or call me if you can come by thanks tony gallo 240 832 1364. :D

Tony:

Setting up a Ca reactor is not that difficult. At least that is what everybody tells me since I have never set one up either. I have one for sale now and I am waiting for a giant size one for my larger system. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. The one I bought originally won't be big enough.

Most people seem to feed the reactor with a small powerhead. Once you fill it up with media and water, turn the powerhead on to completely fill it up. Then, just follow the directions Andy sent. By the way, I may need a copy of them since I assume they will apply to my reactor too. That of course is if you don't mind.

Most people tell me that you have to wait about 24 hours after you make a chance in CO2 bubble count or effluent rate to see the true results. Keep in mind that they are not good at raising levels, but they keep it there. I think of them as adding what the tank is consuming daily unless the consumption is much higher than the supply and you will see your levels rise up.

As far as media, they are all about the same for what I ahve read. Lots of people use crush coral since it is so cheap with great results. Geofloors here and others use it. I plan to do the same as well.

What particular questions do you ahve that I could maybe help with??

Alberto

Sanjay's Article

I found this article BY SANJAY JOSHI  helpful in understanding how a calcium reactor works - check out bottom of article on "reactor operations."  The article does a good job explaining how adjustments in CO2 bubble rate and effluent rate change the PH and output of the reactor.

Hope this helps!

Craig

toast.gif

I set mine up not too long ago, and figured it out along the way.  I was kinda nervous at first, though in retrospect I don't know why.  Guess I'm always a little paranoid about water getting everywhere or especially in this case, overdoing it.  2 parameters I followed were pH and alk- write them down each time, and allow O/n after making adjustments.  Many will say to check the effluent, but to me this was rather useless and I just monitored the tank daily until it was stable, with a target alk of 10.  I have not seen a pH drop, though this could be due to CO2 getting sucked up in the refugiu, some kalk addition with makeup, or the second chamber.  It is a good idea to take a sample of the effluent initially to determine that the CO2 is getting in there.  In my case with a small tank, I needed the output faster than the bubble count.  Adjusting the bubbles is a little tricky.  You want to open up the regulator, and then the output valve you want set for only a couple PSI.  You do not want a lot of pressure going to the neddle valve, as they are not designed for it.  Start with a bubble/second and a drip about equal to that I would think would be a good starting point for your systems.  Tony, if your tank is big and heavily stocked, you may need to increase this.  

Do not add anything else to the tank as far as kalk or 2 part during the adjustment process, or you will never get it tuned.

I am using ARM media.  None of the imnmediate stores around me had crushed coral at the time.  I filled my reactor almost to the top, and then made a second chamber with an old tap water purifier that I fillled with media.

After adding media, You want the chamber filled with tank water before turning on the circulation pump.  You will need the output open for the air to bleed out.  Really check it initially for leaks- there are a lot of spots that can leak.  After full turn on the circulation pump.  You will probably see some more air bubbles coming out.  I gently shook the reactor to dislodge them further.  Then you are ready to turn on the CO2.  Go slow.  Have all closed at first.  Open main tank valve a bit0 you will see pressure from first gauge go up (tank pressure- this will tellyou when empty),  Open second valve on bottle and you will see pressure on second gauge go up ( I set mine for 4 PSI)- this is the output pressure. Then adjust needle valve and you will see bubbles start coming through.  You may need to run it a little high at first to get the pressure in the line, then turn it back.  That initial flood of CO2 will not hurt anything- you just don't want it like that all the time. If you run too much CO2 you can also run the risk of "cementing" all the media.   When adjusting the bubbles for whatever you decide to start with, count for a while- mine come out fairly regularily, but initially would go 2 bubbles, pause, bubble, pause, 2 bubbles, etc.  Best to average it over a period of time.   I have a check valve on the CO2 line and the input line (to prevent the concentrated stuff in the reactor from draining all at once in event of power failure).  It is hooked up to a maxijet.  I have no sort of solenoid on it- though these can be hooked up just to house line or a controller.  Usually they are open when juice is going to them.

Check tank pH during the phase in to make sure it is not dropping too low.  If it is dropping a ton, then you are not using up the CO2 enough before it gets to the tank.  Choke back on air or effluent.  

Tony, I would swing by but will be leaving town tomorrow for a week.  If it is not set up by then, I will be happy to stop by.

Alberto- I found mine to raise levels no problem- you just need to run it with more air!  I was never able to get the alk of the tank up where I wanted it until I hooked up this piece.  After it is raised, just turn it back so it keeps it on target.  Stability is what the end goal is though and your thinking is correct as to the purpose. That was my experience anyway.

I have not followed calcium- if the alk is staying replenished, then the calcium is as well ( I have given up on this after spending an afternoon going through different kits with tom, glenn and paul and realizing that we didn;t know what to trust).  I know the alk is getting added from the initial breakin- amazing how much can be used in a day.  Finally- if you are currently adding "trace" elements or other suppliments, I would recommend ending that- as if it is needed for skeletogenesis and calcification, then it is getting added back from the reactor.  Many of those elements if too high are dangerous.

Now that it is stable, I check alk and pH weekly, and the effluent line drip rate daily.  Air can sometime get stuck in the output, which a gentle shake should help dislodge.

Hope this was of some help.

Michael

Guest tgallo
thanks everyone, yes a new piece of equipment is a little scary at first. maybe ill give it a try this weekend.  :D

Guest tgallo
salmon alley, thanks for the info. michaelg thanks for the directions. alberto,anytime let me know and ill give you the directions. gaitortale , thanks for the web page.is anyone going to to coral connection saturday. walt smith order coming. :D

The only thing I can add to this is wait 48 hrs before making adjustments. 24hrs just isn't enough time for everything to stabalize. IMO As you get closer to it being dialed in youmight have to wait a week or two before you can see a noticable change. You know you're very close when this happens. One last thing keep exact count of bubbles per minute and effluent rate per minute but only change one at a time.

George

Guest tgallo
thanks geofloors. im still reading about calcium reactors, and slowly trying to grasp the way it works. i guess at first i would go slow on the bubble count, and efluient release . i dont whant to over do it and drop my ph in the main tank. i guess i have to find the rite balance, and see how much my tank demands calcium/ uptake by corals and coraline etc. :laugh:

Guest tgallo
oops forgot to ask you, what does geofloors stand for. are you in the hardwood business. :D

Geofloors is my first name joined with my business. George's floors. I'm a hardwood flooring contractor.

For the reactor what size tank is it going to be on? What type of corals do you currently have? For me I have 1 reactor on a 75g heavily stocked with sps and clams; I run 60 bubbles per minute and 75 Ml per minute of effluent. On my 200g system (120g heavily stocked with sps and 11 clams) I run 150 bubbles per minute and 100 Ml per minute of effluent. This keeps my alk at 12 dKh and Ca at 440 meq/l. I use Geomarine crushed coral as reactor media. Between both reactors I use about 2.5 lbs of CC per month.

As ridetheducati stated.. a pH meter will work for testing the pH of the effluent coming from the first chamber. It should be between 6.5-6.7 It's difficult for me to use this method.

George

Guest tgallo
hey george. i have a dual stage reactor by my reef creations. i have a 150 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump, and 30 gallon tank for nutrient export. at the moment its  not over stocked with corals. i have sps, xenia , leathers. because of my dual stage reactor i cant measure the efflueant coming from the first chamber, but from the second chamber it should be about ph 7 accordind to andy from my reef creatoins, wich makes the reading from the first chamber 6.5 to 6.7 ph.

Guest tgallo
george where are you located. would like to see your tank one day. if your ever in silver spring, give me a shout. and yes i do have a pinpoint ph controller, as soon as i get the reactor going, im going to try to figure how to work the ph controller, lol.

I would start your levels at 30 BPM and 50 MlPM. Check levels after 48 hrs and readjust. It might take a month to dial in a reactor. Remember to only adjust one thing at a time and take notes of tests and rates for future reference.

I live in Catonsville, MD, just outside of Baltimore on the westside. I'm not far from I95 or I70. You're welcome to stop by sometime, just shoot me a PM or email. I appreciate the offer for stopping by; I'd love to see your tank.

George

More important than the pH leaving the reactor is the alkalinity and calcium levels in your tank.  Keep a close eye on them over the next month.  It will take about a week to get things dailed in, then watch your alk.  It should be obvious if something is

not right (too high or too low).

-Tom

Just that your alkalinity levels will raise or fall over time.  If you are monitoring them, the changes will be readily apparent.  If you are not, well, you shouldn't using a calcium reactor  :D

-T