Need some quick help please

edress714

So I have my 90g RR set up with sump. I want to switch from soft plumbing to pvc. here's my problem. to remove the sock filter I have to remove the tubing and with pvc thatll be hard to do. what can I do to keep the pvc plumbing and continue to use the sock filter? thanks

20160718_210601_zpsvpkklenb.jpg

Good advice but not sure I understand the nature of the problem.  How does the whole contraption fit together?  Slip fittings?  Was it one of those that slips over or into the fitting on top?

Dave, the plumbing would go into that dark grey pipe. that pipe goes into the sock. only way to remove the sock is to remove the grey pipe and then remove the sock.

I think you'll have some issues unless you use spaflex like suggested above.  If you're hard plumbing it to the grey pipe then you won't be able to move the pipe out of the way to remove the grey pipe unless you use 2 unions to remove a section long enough to remove the pipe.  How about just doing hard plumbing until you get to directly above the grey pipe and then run either flexible pvc/spaflex or just tubing to go into the grey section?  As a suggestion, spaflex is probably better because it will reduce friction by not having as many hard angles and if you toss it in the dryer first or lay it on a hot driveway in the sun it will get flexible enough to bend to the shape you want it and then once it cools down it will hold that general shape.

thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the union tomorrow. when it's time for a change I'll open the union, the pipe will fall into the sock, remove sock, put new one and attach it back to the union.

was thinking about that too. was just going to turn off the return pump and then wait for the overflow to empty