Moving corals light acclimation

sen5241b

I visited the Steinhart aquarium 212Kg tank some months ago. When they set it up a few years ago they moved all their corals from an older tank to the new one. 95% of the corals died in the transfer.

If you measure PAR precisely over a coral then move it to a new tank with exactly the same PAR, I am guessing, you would not need to light acclimate it or would you? If the spectum is different in the new location would that cause an issue?

I'm not sure there is a "right" answer, because moving corals isn't just about the light.  

However, this is what I think. MH to MH, similar par should probably be ok. T5 to T5, similar par should probably be ok. When going from MH to T5 or vice versa, similar par should probably be ok but I would still light acclimate. When going to/from LEDS to/from MH/T5/other-LEDs, I would, personally, always light acclimate.

I would suspect some of the LED coral burnings people have had when they were just starting to use LEDs were due to so much of the par coming in a more limited spectrum...such that certain spectrum intensities were higher than prior lighting over a specific coral just prior. I don't know that I'm right, it's what I suspect...but I haven't experienced that situation personally or ever attempted a scientific study on the matter.

Best advice = better safe than sorry