Shrimp Id please

arking_mark

I have a shrimp that I got as a hitchhiker from another tank. I thought it was a fire shrimp until recently when a couple small gobies have gone missing. This shrimp is about 1.5 - 2" and completely red. No white spots or white tentacles. I could take a picture...but probably won't help.

post-2635944-0-42467400-1458529130_thumb.jpg

Edited by arking_mark

It does have that darker tail that you see with peppermint shrimp. However, it is truly solid red with no "peppermint" markings. I will have to try to observe it in better lighting maybe...

There are multiple species of "peppermint shrimp" from the Caribbean and Gulf.  L. wurdemani is lighter and has stronger striping, and is generally very well-behaved.  Your looks like L. rathbunae, which can be a little monster.  I think they're prettier, but they can't be trusted with small, soft, tasty inhabitants.

Dave is correct.  Absolutely a peppermint, never had issues with any of the species eating fish, but they can be monsters to corals that are eating and if the gobies were VERY small, I wouldn't be surprised.  

Can anyone confirm shrimp and behavior? Professor google has the both peppermint shrimp being tame.

Sorry, just speaking from experience with dozens of individuals.  Most people, especially retailers, don't even see a difference.

Just made the mistake of digging into the scientific literature again.  Rhyne and Lin (BULLETIN OF MARINE SCIENCE, 79(1): 165–204) revised the "peppermint" species of the genus, and rathbunae is no longer valid for the species I have been talking about. All I can say is that some individuals that look like the one you have are more aggressive, in my experience.

Edited by mogurnda