Mystery Oyster

mogurnda

I discovered this little guy on the base of a frag a few weeks ago.  I have since moved it to one of the tanks in the slug system, where it should be happy with the constant supply of phytoplankton that results from nutrient dosing for the macroalgae.

The frag originally came from DCReefer1964, who kindly donated some frags infested with a bristly nuisance algae to feed the slugs.  Several of the infested plus had live corals, which are doing well now that the algae have died off.

This plug has a bonus.  Not sure if it comes from Haywood's system or whether a spat rode in with some Caribbean plants, but it is very cute.  Looks like a small thorny oyster, but it will be easier to figure out when it gets bigger.  Only about a centimeter right now.

3365_oyster_031216-1024x768.jpg

Aw! I love cool little hitchhikers like that.

That's awesome

Thanks, guys.  I am probably a bigger fan of hitchhiker s than the stuff I add intentionally.

You can also see the pod

Since there are no fish to eat them, the amphipods run wild.  I keep meaning to add a few small gobies to get the population down.

I got a trochus snail from reefescape that came with not only a little clam but TWO tunicates. Unfortunately all three of them have passed (although one tunicate might be still alive). (Old photo)6156b450827e6f9a878f10e3e796bf44.jpg

Edited by Squishie89