Maze Brain - mount or not?

EBR

I picked up a silver-dollar-sized maze brain yesterday, and am wondering how to position it in the tank.  Any advice?  Is it best to set on the sandbed to grow its own skeleton, or should I mount it to a rock to encrust?

Thanks!

Matt

Just remember if you mount it to the rock work and it encrusts you will not get be getting it off any time soon and it will fight with other corals for room.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep it on it's own.  Right now it's just a small frag on a plug -- will it grow it's own ball-shaped skeleton while sitting on the sand bed, or should I attach it to a rock so that it encrusts and take on that shape?

Thanks.

Matt

I picked up two about 6 weeks ago after doing several hours of research on platygyra coral.  From what I saw throughout a weekend of reading, it can be placed on the sand bed on it's own or mounted on rock...

If you place on the sand, it will grow its own skeleton and form a ball or plate shape as it grows.

If you place on rock, it will form an oblong, out-of-round shape as it grows unless the rock surface is parallel to the water surface. (Apparently this is because has to 'angle' itself to maximize its light intake before it resumes its normal, round or plate growth pattern.)

Like I said, this is info from a few hours of online digging, not personal experience - so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by malacoda