Reef Lighting a 31" Deep 120G cube

sturnmeyer

Hello all. Just joined back up here after a while away. I'm sure my question has been asked so apologize if I didn't find it in the search. 

I have a 120g 30x30x31 cube from glass cages that is FOWLR. I am debating on keeping it that way and getting a smaller tank to get back into doing a mixed reef again, or just migrating the 120g to a mixed reef. Previous reefs that I had ran successfully were lit with T5s and I had no issues, but this deep of a tank brings different questions into play. 

Now I know right now that MH will be what everyone says go with, and I agree. The problem is that on a budget MH don't help with the initial cost and the raised electric bill. (happy to see metrics disproving this!!!)

With that said, I see my choices at T5 or LED. 

Anyone with a 30" deep tank running either of these? Thoughts? What are you using? 

Oh, I'd like to have the gamit of corals within, so I'm thinking of layering it up the water column with SPS near the top anyway. 

Thanks for any help. 

Scott

hi scott, welcome to WAMAS. I ran a 30" tall tank with evergrow value fixtures and SPS heavy with success and about 200 PAR at the bottom with 12-15 above the waterline if I remember correctly. I have a couple used units if interested or I can help get a new one over your tank, let me know. a couple folks have done taller tanks with them on SPS tanks on the RC and r2r threads without issue if you're interested in LEDs.

very interested to see the aquascaping on this one too. be sure to post up a build journal and photos when you get around to it!

Thanks monkiboy, appreciate. Yes, I will be doing a full journal on this one and want to really pay attention to the scaping, have some ideas for something unique. Can you shoot me a pm on the fixtures? I'm interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk