RBTA spilt today!

John-Solo

So Iv read a few thing about this, mixed reviews on if its form stress or happiness. I suppose it depends on how the rest of the tank is functioning, all the rest of my corals and live stock have been growing like crazy and looking very happy. I still consider my tank pretty new, its been running about 6 months now. I got a RBTA about 2 months ago and its been doing great. It found a nice spot thats in good view in front of the tank, and its colors have been nice and bright. I feed it a piece of shrimp once a week and spot feed krill every once in a while. so today I fed it the piece as usual, dosed the tank this Kent Nano reef A&B then when about my day. about 5 hours later I looked back and it had split! both pieces are still recovering but they have their arms out and look good so far. let me know what your guys experience with this, good/bad? just figured Id share. I'll post a pic!f33269f373692c38dbb7225eef565bb7.jpg4667569d455de516c04a181d7381bb5c.jpg

Edited by John-Solo

I had a RBTA for several years that used to split from time to time. The split pieces would hide for a bit and then come back out and they always were fine. At some point I would usually just sell the offspring.

My original rose split when it got to about 1'-1.5', yes, feet. I have kept both (original and offspring) and they are both now over a foot wide. If they split again I will be selling/giving away the offspring given how big these guys get in my system(s). I need to keep the main 2 roses because my clowns need separate beds because they hate me.

This was taken 2 weeks ago or so, and this is a 4 foot tank (90g)

ipAVKk.jpg

My original rose split when it got to about 1'-1.5', yes, feet. I have kept both (original and offspring) and they are both now over a foot wide. If they split again I will be selling/giving away the offspring given how big these guys get in my system(s). I need to keep the main 2 roses because my clowns need separate beds because they hate me.

This was taken 2 weeks ago or so, and this is a 4 foot tank (90g)

ipAVKk.jpg

haha "because they hate me" well put. That's a nice tank. Iv heard RBTA can become aggressive and take over a tank of not carful. My space is limited 29gal is about as large as I can go for now. If these start getting to big or split again I'll have to sell/trade one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let me know what your guys experience with this, good/bad? just figured Id share. 

Nice looking setup.  

My experience is more like Squishie's.  My anemone is dinner plate size or bigger (depends on mood), and has only split once in about 8 years.  At that time it was massively stressed due to partial system failure while I was away.  It produced about four progeny, the last of which finally got re-homed last night. Now I am back to just one (yaay!).

From what I have seen and read, there seem to be at least two kinds of BTA, one that gets really big, and another that splits often and makes big colonies. People who keep multiple kinds of BTAs will probably have something more intelligent to say about that.