T5 and Orbit Marine LED Question

LNataniel

I'm a newbie in the hobby running a 90g tank with live rocks, a yellow tang, 2 clowns, and a blenny. I also, have the following corals: Waving hand, zoanthid and mushroom. Im using a 48" T5 HO 10K and was just given for black Friday a 48-60" Orbit LED light. The question is whether it makes sense to switch lighting to have more coral option? Gracias. 15c80fe43d046b7c18de1c804ea351fe.jpg

I like LED lighting for a number of reasons, I wouldnt worry about Coral choices being a factor, my Elegance, Fungia, Scoly and Duncan all did great under T5, I switched to LED to about 18 months ago, I love the color and everything is doing great but I will say that things grew a little faster under my T5's.

B.L.U.F.

LED's are great but there is a ton of amazing Coral that will thrive under T5.

I appreciate the information. Based on what I'm seeing it's not growing fast with the T5 I have with new bulbs so it might be worth changing. Lol

do you dose or feed your Coral? how old is your tank? the 1st 6 months I set mine up nothing seemed to grow (probably because I kept messing with everything). I say if you have it try it out, if you dont like it you can always switch back

Tank is about a year and a half. I don't dose or feed thinking that weekly water change will do the job. This was the initial guidance I got when I started.

I guess I'm going off topic a little, to answer your original question, I think LED's really make your Coral pop and I love the fact that you can adjust them to get the color you want. 

As far as feeding, you are correct regular water changes will do the job, but spot feeding and adding supplements will definitely increase your growth rate, I dose daily and spot feed once or twice a week.  

Good luck, tank looks healthy so far so whatever you're doing seems to be working for you.