REfugium

mjv0103

I did a DIY sump a while back so so that I could maximise my space under my tank.  It's two 10g tanks joined together with 2 bulkheads, one lower, and one higher on opposite sides.  I've got my in flow on the left, with skimmer, then 5 gallon area, which leads to another 5 gallon area with my heater, then a return section.  

I wanted to turn the area after my skimmer into a fuge.  I've got this to light it up WavePoint Daylight Micro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light.  So i bought the light, bought some chaeto, and started it up.  I ran the light for about 10 hours a day.  It didn't take long for the cheato to crumble up and get tossed into my display.  Any idea what I need to do?  I bought the chaeto online and it took 4 full days to get to me.  would that be the issue?  I want to get it going again and start up some PODS.

Even I got my chaeto online...came overnight though...never had any issue...and its growing very well. I ordered my light on Amazon...very happy with that...I let it on just like you do 10-12 hrs in the night. I can't say what could be the reason for it to crumble up though...most likely it couldn't survive without light for 4 days...just a guess. BTW...I added a full bottle of Doctor Eco Systems copepods and rotifers and after 3 to 4 weeks I could see lot of pods in the refugium. Its really good product to get your started with pods. 

There are two different kinds of chaeto that I have encountered.  One is fairly thick strands and holds together well, and the other is finer and I always have ended up with pieces that break off and can't stand that kind.

Ive got plenty of good chaeto and would be happy to give away a few fist fulls if your willing to make it out to Martinsburg.

Ive got plenty of good chaeto and would be happy to give away a few fist fulls if your willing to make it out to Martinsburg.

Urchin, thank you so much for the offer.  Would definitely take you up on the offer if I lived closer.