Ashley's 200DD MACNA raffle win build!

lutz123

I am most excited about this build because it was completely off my radar - meaning I am starting with a clean slate.  It is going to be in our basement.  No preconceived ideas about what I will put in it...though I have always really loved the Australian Harlequin Tusk (I am far from stuck on that).  

The tank came with two C-360 canisters - which I will be rehoming via craigslist or the for sale forum.  I am also rehoming the maxijet 900 and 1200 and will choose something else.  I have a 40 gallon that I just set up to be my quarantine tank that may now become my sump unless there is another $1 a gallon sale soon.  I do have another 40 gallon that leaks but I am darn sick of resealing.

I am on the fence on the Marineland Reef lights (it came with 3 48-60 inch units).  I am not planning on ever doing SPS - I may throw an occasional frag in to see what happens, but I prefer softies and LPS overall so I really don't want a super strong heavy duty light.  Given that I may stick with these for a bit and see how it goes.  They are supposedly better than the first generation but who knows.  The stats according to Marineland are PAR at 12” 199, PAR at 24” 118 Lux at 12” 12089 Lux at 24” 7569.

It came with the glass canopy and I will likely use that to start with to help with evaporation - I know it will affect lighting.  That may be a lesson I need to learn on my own.   :)

I think it came with 2 400 watt heaters.

So, on my to do list...and here is where I would like advice.  I really want to keep the electricity cost in check when considering equipment.

1.  Pick a return pump - panworld external?  I would really to have it both quiet and not create a ton of heat.

2.  Plan the plumbing and sump layout.  I haven't ever set up a built in overflow like this.  Should it be modified?  I would really like to keep the noise down and minimize splashing.

3.  Get a skimmer - I have one that may be fine to start with but would need to be replaced once the stocking level increases (plus, I'd like to keep it on my 75).

4.  Water movement - Gyre maybe?

5.  Inhabitants!  I would love some suggestions on a stocking list.  My current build is a 75 (yes, I have another project going on and will likely keep it for now) and that will likely be more goby, barnacle blennies, possum wrasse, bangaii, jawfish - so small community fish - not an SPS tank.  The 200 offers the room for bigger fish and I would love to hear your ideas.  I don't think I really want to go aggressive - somewhat peaceful is fine. I do like unusual fish (not $1000 unusual).  A bunch of garden eels would be cool.  I have a preference for a little bit quieter tank - some swimming but not 8 different fish darting in all different directions.  Chaos isn't really my thing.  I don't mind if I can't keep inverts, though I would like the freedom to have corals if I decide to.  I like schooling fish even though I know few rarely actually school - a few heniochus diphuertes would be nice.   See, I really have no idea what to do.  

6.  Rock and substrate.  I want to leave plenty of swimming room - maybe two or three islands?

7.  Macroalgae - I will likely add a decent size area of macroalgae so no need for a fuge in the sump.

I have a couple of brute trashcans I got from another member at one time.  It looks like these will come in handy.

Anything I am missing? I am not in a huge hurry because - well, I didn't expect this and I need to get my 75 completed too.  But I definitely want to get it started.

I want to add that I am calling Marineland tomorrow (as recommended by the Marineland booth folks yesterday) because the hard foam support on the center brace is detached at one end and the brace sags a little - especially when I laid one of the glass lids on it.  It's easy enough to say I could just superglue it but I don't want to void the warranty.

A 200 is a good size to do a FOWLR. Could do some angels and butterflies, wrasses, puffers/boxfish.

What I suggest to people when they don't know what direction they want to go is to go through fish websites and/or books and make a list of fish you like (and can have due to size limitations), then whittle down the last of ones with more priority and see where you end up.

If it were me .... I would pick a region of the globe you like best and try to recreate that environment so every time you see it it would be like you are diving there. But that's just me. Pick your favorite fish, figure out where it's native habitat is and recreate it. Just some thoughts for inspiration. My wife would tell you to put some stingrays in there. :)

High five to Marineland!  They are replacing the tank because of the center brace issue.  I just have to contact a local vendor to do the full replacement - including delivery.

That buys me a little time to maybe order a couple of very large pukani rocks - I would like to go with a couple of islands and likely will go a little light and add to it down the road.

Awesome and congrats on the win!

Call QR they have one in the store. Have the replacement sent there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk