Biocube Lighting Schedule Recommendations?

rain

Hi all,

I'm installing my Typhon dimmer on my Coralife Biocube 29 today. I have the Steve's LED upgrade lights which is 18 Royal Blue Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs and 10 4,000K Neutral White Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs (Full Spectrum White LEDs). My tank is mostly LPS (hammers, frogspawn, duncans, torch, trumpet), some zoas, a few softies along with one beautiful RBTA (thanks Tom from Kyle&Amy!). My question is what should the recommended lighting schedule be set at? This is my first marine tank so I really have no idea what is best. We are usually down around the tank around 7am with the kids and head up to put them to bed around 8pm, so I would like some form of lighting on during those hours. I do have the moon light kit though so I can certainly program that to come on for a few hours too at the end if the main lights are going off earlier. I appreciate the input! Please be specific if possible.

Thanks!

Rain

Hi there and congrats on the tank. I would start adjusting the corals slowly to the LEDs. Start with blues at 30% and whites at 10%. Then slowly bring them up during the next few weeks. At a tank that size and mainly softies I would max out at blues 50-70% and whites 20-35%. As far as hours go I run a 2 hour blue sunrise followed by 5 hours white+blue and a 1 hour blue sunset. This has worked for me but you can adjust as you like.

Thank you! I've already slowly adjusted the tank to the lights and noticed that when I went over the levels you mentioned the corals did start bleaching so I backed down. But the tank has just been on a simple timer with all on and all off am and PM. I'm excited to be able to add in the sunrise and sunset now. I'm sure the tank will be even happier. This gives me a great safe starting point to tweak from. Many thanks!