Flow advice

Guest Wombat

Guest Wombat

I'd like some advice on increasing flow options in my 90 gal tank.  

I saw VA Reefman's (John) tank last week and was impressed by the massive flow and great looking corals so I started thinking about my tank, which usually results in more money being spent!

My little 90 rr used to have about 1800 gph going through 2 powerheads and the return but one of the powerheads has failed (yes, a Rio) so I am rethining my options.

So my question is what should I do now to get optimum flow and circulation for a tank of mostly sps and lps?

Should I get a squid for the return, a sea swirl, maxijet powerheads and a wavemaker or some combination of all of them? Seems like the options are endless so I'd love to hear what works best for most people.  :D

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I think it depends on your budget. IMHO, optimal would be a closed loop with an Oceans Motions device. They aren't cheap but they are effective.

My second choice would be to add a SCWD (or two - again closed loop). A lot of folks say they cut off too much flow, but to some extent you can compensate for that with a bigger pump. If you can wait a bit they are supposed to bring a 1" version to market mid-summer.

Trunze streams can work, but again they are outrageously expensive. RIO has come up with a cheaper alternative, but it IS a RIO (improved quality?). Either of these choices leave you with powerheads in the tank, ugly IMHO.

My last choice would be SeaSwirls - they could possibly be the single biggest ripoff in the reef game. Yeah, they work but they are so stupidly expensive ($100+ for .10 in parts [crzy]). You can get the 4 way HD Oceans Motions device for less than two 1" (even 3/4" I think) SS. Hopefully they will fade into oblivion as new technology comes into play.

There is an unkown, the Wave2K. I have one that has never been used & I'm willing to sell it real cheap (but there are some reliability concerns)

My plan for a 150:

1. Return through a SCWD = 2 alternating currents

2. Run 1200 - 1500gph through a closed loop using an OM 4way. Two output low in the tank (BB) & two at the top.

This should give plenty of laminar flow.

DO a closed loop!!!!!  When i planned the 75 gal that I have now i didint even know about a closed loop or a SQWD.  But in the 75 i have a mag 7 return, 3 301 powerheads and a 901 with and Ehiem spraybar shooting across the whole tank from right to left, so IMO i have a lot of flow, in the end use a closed loop

Robert

I have become a big fan of less water flow tank to sump and back to tank because of the noise associated with recirculating a lot of water. (if you use a surface skimmer  to collect the water which is by far the best to eliminate the gasseous film that developes without it)

I now have a Tunze stream and controller and LOVE it. I have other water movers in the tank but NO comparision to the stream. Moves water like crazy and no heat added, the controller allows several settings.

Theres a post on CMAS of this guy who sells them. NAGA is the guy so click on his name.

They are $$ but are schweet!

Chip

Guest Wombat

Thanks everyone,

That Ocean Motion device is unreal. If anyone hasn't seen it take a look at the video.

I think I'll try the SCWD on the return and go for a closed loop with another SCWD. That should give me the flow and variety the tank needs.

Anyone have a SCWD for sale?

Thanks,

Simon

Ocassionally they show up in the sales corner of RC, Premium Aquatics has them for $39 - a good standard price.

I agree with you about the Oceans Motions - awesome! Paul has really got a great idea. From what I've read the build quality is excellent. I've emailed Paul & he told me that the heavy duty 4-way unit can handle up to 5000gph - wow! Since he built them with large pipe sizes there is little in the way of restriction. I also like the revolution devices - a rotating head combined with a varied flow - I'm not sure we can get much closer to nature.