Biocube 29 Powerhead Placement?

rain

Hello! I'm struggling to tweak my water flow to be just right in my 29 Biocube. I still have the stock pump and two Koralia nano 425's. I have a pic below. I have mostly LPS with some zoas and a few odds and ends. My fish are still in QT (two clowns, a firefish, and a YWG). I keep tweaking the direction of the PHs but can't quite get it to not just blow my LPS in mostly one direction. They are both facing forward. Should I put one or both facing in from the sides? I do have the deflector rotator cover on my return too. Appreciate any ideas or pics of good placement. Thanks!

You need to think about the hydrology of your tank. Unless you have power heads with variable flow or inconsistent flow patterns you will get the water flowing in the direction of least resistance and with out a determining variable changing the path of least resistance will not change either.

Long of the short, you can place those power heads anywhere you want in the tank and it will likely result in a consistent and predictable pattern. You need a variable in the equation to keep changing to throw off the equilibrium of forces.

*edit, Koralia flow might be inconstant enough to face the power heads directly at each other and have their currents slip off each other.

Edited by Happyfeet

I thought about that too. Recommendations to address that? Is it some sort of wave maker or reef keeper that I need to alternate the powerheads? Thanks!!

I thought about that too. Recommendations to address that? Is it some sort of wave maker or reef keeper that I need to alternate the powerheads? Thanks!!

Due the nature of power heads every time you turn them on or off it shortens their life slightly. Doing it hundreds of times over the course of a day really starts adds up. Best way to address it is to have a power head designed to have a variable flow.

I use two Vortech MP10's on my biocube facing each other, it doesn't work exactly like I'd prefer, but it's much better than the unidirectional flow I had before. I plan to upgrade to 2 Vortech MP10 with the wireless controllers so I can set one up to be the slave and have them alternate flow.