When to Change Light Lamps

LNataniel

Hello everyone, I recently joined the forum and am new to the hobby. I am hoping someone can help me determine when it's the right time to change the lamps (tubes). Are there guidelines? I have been told that they last about a year and if you keep it longer, it can effect corals. Gracias.

Hello everyone, I recently joined the forum and am new to the hobby. I am hoping someone can help me determine when it's the right time to change the lamps (tubes). Are there guidelines? I have been told that they last about a year and if you keep it longer, it can effect corals. Gracias.

when I was using T5's I would try and stagger when I switched them out, I had 8 bulbs and I changed them out every 8-10 months or so, I used to keep them in my garage and write the number of months they were used on the side with a sharpie, that way I always had a backup if a bulb blew out.

I never really noticed a big change in coral growth with older bulbs, but that may be due to the fact that I changed out 1 of the 8 bulbs every other month

Edited by Crob5965

Great advice. I'm using T5's that's around 3 years old and the bulbs never been changed. Thanks

I also had an 8-bulb T5 unit, and essentially swapped out half the bulbs every nine months, for effective 18-month life for any given bulb. It seemed to work pretty well. :bluefish:

Great advice. I'm using T5's that's around 3 years old and the bulbs never been changed. Thanks

yeah, I switched to LED's works out cheaper in the long run, LPS dont seem to grow as fast, but color is just as good, cant really speak on SPS color/Growth as I didnt have any until I got LED's 

If you change out bulbs that are that old, I would raise the fixture after doing so to prevent burning any corals.  Over time, you can slowly lower it back to its original location.

Good recommendation because I never would have thought about the height of the fixture. I only have a few red mushroom corals. I'm only a rookie.  :cool: