WAMAS Forums - BACK Up & Running

Gatortailale

All,

Still trying to get the details on what exactly happened. To the best of my knowledge, someone hacked the code of our hosting company, and possibly many more forum hosting companies, and inserted a trojan virus script, which would automatically download to your pc if you didn't have a antivirus or firewall running. I'm not sure exactly what the virus program does/did - other than I was told that it was a email program that would look at your contacts in outlook and send emails to your contacts stating wamas forums was the sender.

Bottom line, Invision, our hosting company, has applied 4 upgrades including security patches, to our forums software, and we appear to be back up and running.

Our webmaster will have to re-skin the look of the forums which will take a few days or more (when he is free).

Sorry for the down time, I know I was lost like many of you, without the forums.

A few asked if personal info. was compromised by the virus, I do not have an answer to that right now, but will continue to try to contact Invision to find out. They are mighty busy repairing a lot of their clients sites, so might be best to wait for a day or two till they have time.

Craig is correct

The PHP system used in a lot of forum software had a security flaw that was discovered by hackers. They used it to download a Trojan program to use your outlook address book. It did not steal your info it only used it to send email. if you download the updates to your virus protection software you will wipe it off of your computer instantly.

None of your information was compromised.

I have been a little out of loop the last few days but have been on with Invision at least 3 times a day. They have fixed their security issue that allowed all of their boards to get hacked. They loaded the newest version of the board and then I loaded the database of our posts and users back on to the board. Many of the forums effected will be weeks rebuilding but we got lucky I had down the safety back up a few hours before the crash.

We lost the skin to the board as we now have a new version. This will take a few days of spare time to get back all of the appearance and buttons.

I am glad that this is resolved while I