Red Slime Algae

RTElite12

I think carbon could help. I think red slime comes from unbalanced bacteria population. There is not enough of the bacteria and the proper diversity of bacteria in the rocks and sand to consume the waste so the red slime is able to populate. That is why most red slime seems to happen in newer tanks or tanks. I haven't seen the age or much detail on the tank we are talking about here. More detail on the setup would help suggest a proper course of action. 

I believe cyano is part of the cycle. I have had lot of issues with it on and off. This is what worked for me.

- Syphon out as much as you can (this works very well...although time consuming)

- More frequent water changes

- Reduce the duration of the lights

- Replace rodi filters (tds shud report 0)

I also read about removing excess nutrients using Phosphate sponge or some other product that I read somewhere on this forum. Never tried it though.

Edited by thakki

Just to update, my TDS is .002 ppm and before I could even do a single water change or do anything really, the algae broke up. Personally, I think it might have just been part of the tanks growing stage at this point. Thank you to everyone for their help.